Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Nitrous on EA81?

It's actually the ea82 oil pump that can no longer be purchased. I just bought an ea81 oil pump from subaru along with the o-rings and gasket.

Bottom line here RAD, if you want to coax more than about 100-110hp out of a non turbo ea81 then you're going to need deep pockets. It will not be cheap and it will not be easy. You need to accept the ea81 for what it is and stop trying to make it what it isn't. It's a fools errand. The people who are telling you this are some of the people who pioneered the "high output ea81". If you aren't happy with your brat having 85-90hp from the basic bolt ons then you're looking at a. full rebuild and lots of cash thrown into a 30 year old 4 cylinder to get another 10-15hp.

I recently was told the EA81 pump is also out on stock - at least at the moment. It's made by Hitachi now so they may continue to make them and restock the USDM but no one knows for sure. They order half a dozen and maybe they get them, maybe they dont. Can't get the valves anymore. Our dealer routinely calls Japan on our behalf..... they gave us the EA81 parts book on permanent loan because we are the only shop in town that ever orders parts for them.

GD

How recently? I ordered one about 6 months ago and received it no problem. I put in another order a couple days ago, the only thing on my order that was flagged as backorder was the rear pitch stop bushing. Maybe you just hit it at the wrong time.

Yes, let us ponder the intricacies of these ideas you're putting forth.

Rad you're completely correct. A nice modest shot of nitrous would give you a good little burst of power. And if you were looking for a small HP boost in an ea81, that would be ideal *but*

Look at the cost of a bottle of nitrous lately? How about the lines to hook it all up to your Hitachi carburetor? Or the Carter Weber? OK, now that you're in the hole a good 6-700 dollars for your tepid shot of maybe an additional 10 horsepower, guess what? You better only hit that button for MAYBE 2 seconds at a time. Because you're running stock carbureted fuel pump. And there's no way it can keep feeding enough fuel to prevention your pistons from melting.

So enjoy spending many many hundreds of dollars just so you can squirt your motor for a long enough time for it to accelerate from 65mph to 70 in the time it would have ordinarily gone from 65mph to 68.

• Like 1

Yes, let us ponder the intricacies of these ideas you're putting forth.

Rad you're completely correct. A nice modest shot of nitrous would give you a good little burst of power. And if you were looking for a small HP boost in an ea81, that would be ideal *but*

Look at the cost of a bottle of nitrous lately? How about the lines to hook it all up to your Hitachi carburetor? Or the Carter Weber? OK, now that you're in the hole a good 6-700 dollars for your tepid shot of maybe an additional 10 horsepower, guess what? You better only hit that button for MAYBE 2 seconds at a time. Because you're running stock carbureted fuel pump. And there's no way it can keep feeding enough fuel to prevention your pistons from melting.

So enjoy spending many many hundreds of dollars just so you can squirt your motor for a long enough time for it to accelerate from 65mph to 70 in the time it would have ordinarily gone from 65mph to 68.

Thank you for your more reasonable reply.

I, again, am talking about a moderated use of N.O. - There are the usual implications of "Hitting the button" - For only 2 seconds? - Well, now, that depends on how much nitrous is actually being used, right?

I could in fact, 'hit the button' or something else, and have extremely little nitrous added, so it could last just as long as I wanted it.

The cost of a bottle - already have more than one candidate, lol. The only cost involved is replacing a valve, I have done this before, and maybe a fancy paint job and a sticker if I didn't care about trouble with the law, and same if I decide to camo it to look like something else, or hide it, lol. again, not a problem. I can get a bottle filled for about $15, again, done it before, again, not a problem.  Again we're talking about supplementing what I have, by a small amount.

I would likely not be running a stock carb, although recent developments might have that, I can gegt a super-charger for as little as $150 that itself might solve the issue, but the type of carb would work better with this, the type of carb (not looking up the model ) it would work well. That carb  would cost me about $600.00 - so far the only drawback as far as cost is concerned, and everything I am considering doing are things that can be done in stages, not spending a minimum of $2,000.00 and having it out of commission for weeks.

Also, by your reasoning, I could also run an Airplane Fuel mix that might give me similar boost in performance, maybe used with, or instead of Nitrous if they can be used together, but that might be too much for the engine.

Pistons are not going to melt.

Nitrous does not cost that much

Already have some of the parts left over from other projects.

I consider my point made successfully.

Thank you for the honest and more helpful input.

In general, regarding how so many parts supposedly cannot be found...
BULL!!!
Most parts for these are not exactly falling off the parts stores' shelves, that's always a given.
All these parts I supposedly will not be able to get - I have gotten them before, and when you have a good Subaru Freak Mechanic, not a problem, I know this first hand from personal experience.

I find it alarming, yet not surprise that people come out of the woodwork to say how everything is impossible, cannot be found, will destroy the engine, etc. etc. etc
The self-important nay-sayer will NEVER be an endangered species!
Hell, just look at what TWEETY has done in the past, especially with his Trike he used to have. I'm sure if I tried to go that route, I would be getting all the same BS from supposed experts!

The way people talk crap against the EA81 is absolute NONSENSE! When I have driven my Brat and won street races against nothing special regular street cars, it tells me that my puny, sad, beat up Brat is NOT so puny, and NOT hopelessly under-powered, and in fact, over 80% of the time is GREAT! Proof is in REALITY on the ground and on the street! Nobody is going to tell me how worthless the EA81 is when I have driven and seen it for myself, gotten resultsm won off-roading bets over and over again, etc.

Its all just EGO's and self importance, and I dismiss most of it because at its base, most of what what I see is NEGATIVE NEGATIVE NEGATIVE, INSULT INSULT INSULT, CAN'T DO, CAN'T DO, CAN'T DO, Instead of positive, problem-solving, helpful, etc.

Avgas? Really? Do you know how much that junk costs? Holy sticker shock batman. 

But sure - 141 octane leaded airplane race fuel is the balls. You'll drop off the back of the power curve adding timing before you detonate that stuff. 

Not even close to a viable EA81 fueling situation.

Up the compression and run E98 with a turbo or supercharger. Make tons of power till you twist the crankshaft into a pretzel.

You're talking about bringing a thermonuclear ICBM to a fist fight here. Nitrous and Avgas and Superchargers? Listen to youself man.... you sound like a total nutjob. 

GD

• Like 1

Hubris. :banghead:

No. Personal experience. Lots of it - I'm not the expert everybody else claims to be, but I make up for it with what I have done, can do, and know I could do>

I need to start blocking people and get rid of the NATTERING NAYSAYERS !!!

Avgas? Really? Do you know how much that junk costs? Holy sticker shock batman. 

But sure - 141 octane leaded airplane race fuel is the balls. You'll drop off the back of the power curve adding timing before you detonate that stuff. 

Not even close to a viable EA81 fueling situation.

Up the compression and run E98 with a turbo or supercharger. Make tons of power till you twist the crankshaft into a pretzel.

You're talking about bringing a thermonuclear ICBM to a fist fight here. Nitrous and Avgas and Superchargers? Listen to youself man.... you sound like a total nutjob. 

GD

HOW MANY TIMES TO I HAVE TO REPEAT THE VERY ELEMENTAL POINT HERE - MODERATION !!!!

YOU KEEP FALSELY ASSUMING THE NUCLEAR OPTION AS THE ONLY OPTION! GET OVER IT!

In general, regarding how so many parts supposedly cannot be found...

BULL!!!

Most parts for these are not exactly falling off the parts stores' shelves, that's always a given.

All these parts I supposedly will not be able to get - I have gotten them before, and when you have a good Subaru Freak Mechanic, not a problem, I know this first hand from personal experience.

Ok - find me some intake/exhaust valves, and some SPFI EA82 pistons. Please. We would like to buy some ASAP. 

GD

No. Personal experience. Lots of it - I'm not the expert everybody else claims to be, but I make up for it with what I have done, can do, and know I could do>

I need to start blocking people and get rid of the NATTERING NAYSAYERS !!!

Have you ever tuned anything on a dyno? Have you melted many engines? I have. I am the engine builder at my shop (I also own the shop) and I am intimately more familiar with Subaru boxer architecture than you manifestly are. This is not a chevy small block and you can't treat it like it is. If it were I would say go ahead and put a 50 shot of N2O on there. Probably won't hurt a thing. 

Why are you willing to spend $600 on a carb when you could spend that on a Legacy donor and have 135 HP with fuel injection reliability and no massive input of time and effort to pave new roads to nowhere with antique equipment?

GD

• Like 2

Lol. Whoa now. We have a street racer that beats people with his stock EA81 brat that doesn't even know how to do a motor swap! :lol:

This thread is now just a rolling comedy.

RAD - Stop arguing with GD. you've made a fool of yourself time and again. he's arguably the most knowledgeable member of this forum. He's tried to steer you right, and you're not even keeping up with the science of the conversation. You've never even pulled a motor and claim to be an expert who knows better than the man who does this work for a living - for a long time and with a great reputation.

Edited by AdventureSubaru
  • Like 2