Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lift update on gen one brat w/EA81

[HTi]Savage

Ok so we have the lift almost done in the front. the EA81 engine crossmember is mounted in the brat w/ the 4in lift block. I had to use the EA71 tranny crossmember because the EA81 mounts totally different. So now I have to figure out how to mount the 4sp/dr to it. Then on top of that with the EA81 suspension the leading rods are about 4 in too short. So iam wondering if any one has any ideas on how to lenthen them. I would use the EA71 rods but there welded to there control arms. other than that things are going smoothly, so any input is very welcome.

Lawrence

Hi This is Jerry, been there done that on an 81 brat. I built a 6 inch lift for it i also installed a EA81 with a 5 speed dual range tranny. The rear i use the 84 brat rear end because it was alot ez er to install with the 6 inch lift. Aslo rear disc brakes is a must have. Thanks Jerry

was the 6 in lift very different from the 4. did u have to mess with the leading rods. Iam using the EA81 front and rear suspension. but keeping the EA71 tranny crossmember. now they dont reach. I have some ideas but wanted to see what enyone els came up with. tell me how u did the rear.

I put EA81 control arms into my '79 4wd wagon because I did a full EA81 suspension/brake swap into it. I actually made new leading rods and welded them to the EA81 control arms. I made them the exact same length as the original EA71 leading rods but I use some round stock that was a little larger (not much) and tapped the end of it to a standard thread pitch. I have a couple pics...

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1302458350067339125NjfalY

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1302458386067339125UIqgYM

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1302458404067339125HAIQVL

hey what kinda springs and struts are those on the wagon?

Stock EA81 struts and springs with 3 coils cut form the springs in the front and reclocked torsion bars in the rear to make it sit fairly low:-p

As far as mounting the tranny, you might want to shoot Hondasucks a PM since he did an EA81 and d/r 4-speed into his old '77 wagon. He'd know!

Hi This is Jerry, forget the 4 speed and install a 5 speed you have to make brackets any ways. I used some 1 1/2 inch angle iron and welded it to the EA71 cross member and drill holes where i needed them to be for the 5 speed mounts. Then cut the shift linkage to fit, 5 speed is installed. Thanks Jerry

Why don't you just keep the entire ea71 front end and just lift it with blocks, no welding required, that's what spigma's 3" lifted wagon had, stock front and gen 2 rear torsion tube... That's what I'm doing to my next gen 1 lift... (Ryan your pickle's rear end will live again, poor thing:rolleyes: )

anyways, for my gen 2 front in a gen 1 brat, the radius rods were sleeved and lenghtened a bunch to use the gen 1 trans x-member, and like Spigma said the trans mount holes for the 4spd are there, just don't forget to cut a hole for the linkage and adjust it for the 4" lift.

keep the ea71 struts in front they are ~1.5" taller than the ea81 stuff, and in the rear, well go shopping at the junkyard for some custom stuff. definitly get rear disc brakes.

your using the gen 2 rear end right? what motor/trans

I kinda wish I went 4" on my brat, but not on the offcamber sections, welcome to the lifted gen 1 crowd, there arn't many out there...

Well the lift in the front is almost done. And yes I am using the gen 2 rear end. The reason or one of the reasons Im using the EA81 front is because when the gen 2 rear end is in the with of the wheels will be alittle wider than in the front.

I am using the EA81 engine and 4 sp/dr out of my hatch.

We used some 4x3 square tube to lift the front and offset the holes in the front to accomidate the EA81 engine cross member. Its tapered in the front but the holes line up in the rear. All thats left in the front is the strut tower lift blocks and extending the leading rods. thanks alot guies for the input, keep it comming.

Thanks Lawrence.

• 2 months later...