Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The thread Its time for a new SooB by nomoaudi had some good things to say about the H6 vs. the 2.5.

Is there anything on the horizon as a replacement or real improvement for the 2.5? Or do we have to choose between an old and lower powered 2.2 and the big H6 if we want a truly long lived engine?

I've been spoiled- been driving rwd Volvos since '95. The whole drivetrain usually lasts 300-400K miles. But they stopped making them.... So I've been lurking here.

I'm on my second Forester, I sold the first one, a 1999, after 200,000 almost repair free miles. I'll be among the first to opine that the 2.5L DOHC was close to being a piece of junk. Although even the DOHC seems to hang together pretty well AFTER the headgaskets have been properly replaced.

It's still early days, but I think the 2003 and newer 2.5L SOHC engines have been pretty reliable. Not perfect, but I would image the newer 2.5L SOHC engine is in the same reliablity ball park with Honda and Toyota.

I have seen very few negative post about the H6 on this board. It's very cramped in a H6 engine compartment so routine maintenance can be more expensive than on a H4. One other thing, it can very expensive to replace a timing chain on any car when it's finally needed. Just out of curiosity, ask the dealer how much a timing chain replacement would run. I briefly looked at a Matrix, and was blown away by the timing chain replacement cost.

It's just my opinion, but I would not avoid the newer H4 engine. I bought a 2006 Forester, so I think I have put my money where my mouth is.