Ultimate Subaru Message Board

key stuck in ignition -- 2002 OB LLB

i see i'm not the first to have this problem. i was wondering whether anyone knows if the solution that's been posted, namely:

if your key is stuck, simply remove the screws from the bottom of the plastic shroud around the column, then you'll see a white box on the front of the ignition. This is the solonoid. there are two access holes (square shaped) to see inside the white box, located perpandicular to each other. One has a small metal tab barely sticking out of it, and the other doesnt. it has a circular lock washer thingie in there you can see. if you put a screwdriver and PUSH against the metal circular washer thing, it should make a slight click and move about 1/32 of an inch. that will lock the shift lock solonoid in the open position and basically keep it there forever, until the shift lock system tells it to lock again. you can either unplug this solonoid, or you can remove the shift lock controller (if you still have your auto, keep the controller in place, but unplug the solonoid from the bottom... its a two wire FLAT FLAT FLAT plug.

is a solution for my model & year. 2002 OB LLB.

i would also note that my security light is flashing in a sequence that apparently means it's in the "valet mode," which i didn't know anything about until i just read the manual. so i don't know whether that has anything to do w/it or is important or what.

thanks!!!

is it going all the way back to lock pos? if it isn't try just messing with stepping on the brakes turning the ign. on and off and shifting back and forth through the gears. it will happen alot if you are used to driving a manual and you shut the key off before putting it into park. i am guilty of that i dont know how many times.

The steering wheel wasn't locked. I actually drove around, stopped, turned it off, and tried to get key out multiple times, but it was still locked in there. (Then hub had to do the same thing multiple times again, thinking I must be a dummy. Heheh.) After disconnecting the battery was of no help, I got back in & shifted into reverse, moved the car a bit, into drive, moved the car a bit, repeated this several times, and then all of a sudden the key released.

Mystery to me, but I'm hoping it won't happen again at another inopportune time!!