Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a/c retrofit and recharge

Ok my a/c line on the condensor is leaking, and i know this because there is greasy crap ALL over the line fitting, so if i just replace that oring, and probably alot of the other, would i just be able to vacuum out the system, and get a retrofit kit from walmart, use a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on the system, and use the retrofit kit/oil and charge it up with R134a? and have it work, my compressor spings very free without drag, so its not seized or anything. does the car have to be running to recharge it also? and wich port do i fill it up at?

Also about this Expansion valve, theres 4 different listings on parts america, which one is it??? im hoping its the 10.99 one, ahha.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=393&PTSet=A&SearchFor=Expansion%20Valve%20%2F%20Orifice%20Tube

Any places to get a Drier for less than 30$? or is that even nessesary? the systems been low for probably less than 6 months, i got it and it still had a small charge.

I wonder the same thing on my 92 Loyale. I can't tell where it may have leaked, but it is empty. If I jump the PSI switch, it will run. But never gets cold. I want to use some 134a recharge cans to charge it up. Use a dye type and look for any leak all summer. The cans say compatable w/ R12. Is that true? Or how about this "freeze 12" stuff? Where can I find that? Thanks

How do you go about "jumping the psi switch" and why would you do it?

I did it last summer to determine why the ac didn't work. It would'nt come on at all. I found the switch near the top of the "accumulator can". I think that is what it is called. When I jumped it (the low PSI switch) the system seemed to operate as it should, but no cold air. I have not run the system like this, only tested momentarily. I am pretty sure it needs a charge, I want to add dyed 134a to see where it may leak. Do I need to change o-rings ect for the 134a? Ever hear of this "freeze 12" stuff?