Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1993 impreza 1.8 2wd with a automatic it seems that it takes 5 to 6 miles of driving for the trans to lock up even on the expressway the fluid has been changed used dextron sythentic I REMENBER HAVING ISSUES MAKING SURE THE LEVEL WAS CORRECT CAN IT BE A LITTLE LOW.it does not matter how long i let it warm up it still takes an easy 6 to 10 miles before it will lock up is this normal?also don't laugh at me fellows is there some type of resistor that we can use on the temp sensor to make the coumputer think the car is warm so it can lean out and burn less gas?i think my car should get better mialge only gets about 22-23 in mixed driving suppose to get 24city and 30 hwy i fiqure it should get 26 in mixed driving.34psi in tires has a light weight under drive pulley tuned up and easy driving no jack rabbit starts.

I don't know if it's normal or not, but my 4EAT Legacy takes a few minutes to get warm enough to lock up the torque converter too. I've also thought about just hooking up a resistor in place of the temperature sensor to trick the tranny. Anybody done that?

I don't know if it's normal or not, but my 4EAT Legacy takes a few minutes to get warm enough to lock up the torque converter too. I've also thought about just hooking up a resistor in place of the temperature sensor to trick the tranny. Anybody done that?

its a thermisotr in the tranny so that wont work.

Also it aids in the engine warming up faster for emissions.

All cars do it so just something to adapt to.

nipper

its winter, everyones gas milage takes a big dip. Between the longer warm up period and the winter blends of gas, you have to ride it out. Even without winter blends and the tranny delayed shift, ever since man has made internal combustionengines, cold engines use more fuel till they warm up. Fuel injection has helped, but its still just one of those facts of life, like death taxes and rust.

nipper

there are thousands of gas mileage threads. you should read through them. use the "search" button and search for "gas mileage" in the topic titles.

a few mpg loss for a vehicle that old isn't that abnormal. i'm not saying you can't get a little more, but it might be a needle in a haystack.

tune up is a good place to start - plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, PCV valve for starters. another obvious place to start is to check your brakes, mainly have the front caliper pins ever been greased? they should be, can save you some mpg and may prevent premature rotor or caliper failure.

at this age, the wheel bearings could use some fresh synthetic grease, but who's going to do that for the sake of gas mileage i don't know.

Why exactly did you get an underdrive pulley? I would think that perhaps the underdrive pulley is causing poor charge and the injectors aren't getting enough electricity to do their job correctly. Long shot, but it might help.

i missed that part, thats a good question. Check your vlotage output at idle under full load and again at 2500 and 3500 rpm.

nipper