Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NOOB to the board, but not Subies(edit, pics added)

Hiya y'al I'm Paul from East Tennessee.

I just bought a '97 Legacy LSi wagon today (pics tomorrow when it's daylight) It's nothing to write home about, just your basic top line Leg, well, short of the OB. It's a 114k MI EJ25 with a 4spd auto (4EAT?), Leather, CD, Moonroof, & all power acc. Being new to the EJ series, are there any weak points I can/ should address? I've owned a few EA series cars (all XT's) & I know that Subarus are for the most part bulletproof.

Thanks to y'all & to http://www.xt6.net, for reccommending ya. I'm lookin forward to years of companionship with both my new acquisition, & y'all

I can't promise it's a 2.5, but the tag on the fender says EJ25. I'll snap a pic or two of the engine while I'm takin 'em tomorrow.

I'm a NOOB to the EJ series engines so I gotta go by the tags LOL

Also, th LSi is only on the hatch, it MAY have been replaced... I dunno, but hey I usually end up with "oddball" cars. That may explain my love of Subies. Had an early '87 XT turbo w/late 87 bumpers! (talk about an orphan! that thing didn't interchange electronically, with ANYTHING!)

sounds like a nice car. as you stated earlier, if it has DOHC then it's a 2.5L.

your biggest concern for 2.5, 97 - 98, would be the 'head gasket'. use the search feature and you'll have enough to read till the superbowl starts. if the coolant over flow bottle is clean oyu should be ok, that's the first place to look. someone recently suggested that any overheat maybe the precursor to the head gasket problem. a new radiator cap couldn't hurt.

the only other concern is 'torque bind'. this is when the AWD locks in 4WD and in binds up when making tight turns. again search and read.

i fixed the torque bind in my 97 OBW. so far (110k miles), i haven't had the HG problem. can you hear me knocking on wood?

2.5s in general are hard to 'burp' the cooling system. so if you ever drain and refill do some reading first.

i'm sorry to be bringing you this potential trouble spots, but in spite of these issues, i love my outback.

john

I took a LONG hard look @ the timing covers today, and they appear to have only one big gear on each head, motor swap maybe? I was looking cause I was smelling oil burning off the exhaust. (appears to be a valve cover leak, have the cardboard under it as we speak)

I went up in to The Great Smoky Mountain National Park today, to "play in the snow".

Submitted for your approval, a Subie in it's natural habitat.

PHOT0007.jpg

How cold was it up there? how's this!

PHOT0013.jpg

I was looking cause I was smelling oil burning off the exhaust. (appears to be a valve cover leak, have the cardboard under it as we speak)

often whjen the axel boot tears it slings grease onto the exhaust, causing the burning oil smell. check the right front axel boot.

tjhe 2.2 is a great engine, with any luck it is a 95 or 96. that would make it a non-interferrence engine and one of the best, if not the best, subaru ever made.

nice pics, keep up the good play!!!:banana:

who's your helper in the back seat?

It is definately an EJ25 I looked at it funny, or remembered it wrong, not too sure which. I've got a cold & the drugs may be fogging my already *ahem* clouded mind. :cool:

*yearnful sigh* Ahhhhhh the joys of a misspent youth LOL :grin:

I finally got Kat alone & had my way with her... DANG she's got moves! She's not flat out quick, but she's got more stick than the bottom of a school desk! I can tell she's got a few extra pounds, but they look good on her

:burnout: