Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When was 2.5L Head Gasket problem fixed?

Well, the biggest problem was the 96-99 EJ25D, the DOHC Phase I 2.5 engine. Their headgaskets leaked internally, causing loss of compression, mixing of oil and coolant, etc. etc.

Then the EJ251 came out in 99, which was Phase II, and went back to SOHC. This engine would develop an external headgasket leak, which would leak coolant outside of the engine. It didn't cause any compression loss or mixing of fluids, but it was still a headgasket leak, which still required headgasket replacement to properly fix.

The new EJ253s so far seem to be alright. I have seen a few issues, but they're usually freak accidents (saw an 07 Forester, 300 miles, with T-stat stuck closed, engine overheated so bad that exiting exhaust started to melt rear bumper, heads warped out of spec, replaced under warranty).

Phase I and Phase II mostly just refer to the thrust bearing location. Phase I's were in the middle, the number 3 position, while Phase II's were in the rear, the number 5 position.

Understand though that ANY Subaru is susceptible to headgasket failure. I've seen the venerable EJ22 blow headgaskets, I've heard of STi's blowing headgaskets, I've heard of SVXs blowing headgaskets.

There have been no reports from the 2004 05 06 models. There has been some creeping in from 2003.

If I had the choice between an internal vs external leak, ild take the external leak.

I still wouldnt trade in my 1997 for a 2007 unless i got the H6. i dont like the way they look after 1999.

nipper

phase 1 were also DOHV and phase II were sohc i thought.

nipper

If you go buy the change in the thrust bearing location and added bell housing bolts (those were the two changes made), '97 DOHC had the "phase I" block, '98-'99 DOHC had the "phase II" block.

See post #25

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70457&page=3

If you go buy the change in the thrust bearing location and added bell housing bolts (those were the two changes made), '97 DOHC had the "phase I" block, '98-'99 DOHC had the "phase II" block.

See post #25

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70457&page=3

i love when they do things like that .... considering the upper end of the engine life is not known, they will move a bearing, but not address the head gasket.

:-\

nipper

• 6 years later...

Have a 2007 Impreza 2.5l with 62k and it was just diagnosed with a right head gasket leak. nothing bad yet but needs to be done in next 3K miles.

Seems there are still issues with some models from later years too.

they all have issues, though the symptoms differ for the 3 different flavors of EJ25s,  but the issue persists all the way up until 2009 or 2010, whenever they kept using that engine. 

when you have it replaced you should use the Turbo EJ25 headgasket and have the heads resurfaced.

as  someone here once said, any aliminum block / head engine can blow a head gasket. and apparently there are some newer subarus still today having issues. and for thoses of us who drove and love the ej22 which seems to have NO gasket issues, any gasket failure is too many.

the real question is , does subaru have more than the industery at large or more than honda, nissan, or toyota?

Edited by johnceggleston

In reply to the original question, the o4+ engines are definately not without HG problems.  Of course, opinions differ on the amount that will fail.  In my opinion, the only hope for a total cure would be the 2010 and later legacies/OBs which have MLS gaskets and [probably] semi closed blocks. 

So, I will only be in the market for the 2010's and later.  I have 3 subarus, the newest is 11 years old, and yes, i have replaced the HG's on the 02.

right - good call - there is evidence that Subaru did use the turbo style gasket design around 2010 plus.....but the jury is still out i think on exactly which year/models that is the case - for instance the legacy appears to have gotten it - but what about the forester/impreza? 

My 06 baja has slightly smelled like coolant ever since i bought it with 36k miles on it. The lower side of the drivers side head looks like it may be weeping a bit. Meh, im not too worried. It has 90k-ish miles on it now, it hasnt gotten any worse, so i figure i'll address the issue when the timing belt comes due for service.

My 06 baja has slightly smelled like coolant ever since i bought it with 36k miles on it. The lower side of the drivers side head looks like it may be weeping a bit. Meh, im not too worried. It has 90k-ish miles on it now, it hasnt gotten any worse, so i figure i'll address the issue when the timing belt comes due for service.

change the coolant/add the subaru coolant conditioner and it's likely to go away.  i'd do that now and see what happens.