Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch time - 2000 Legacy L

Time to replace the clutch in my 2000 Legacy L wagon, & I've got a few questions for you folks:

1. New or rebuilt? My regular mechanic (who has never replaced a Subaru clutch) has always preferred to use new clutch kits. A new aftermarket kit is going to run about $500 to $600 (Canadian $). The local Subaru dealer only sells rebuilt, they are $350. My neighbour's

mechanic, who regularly works on Subies & has done lots of clutches, recommends the dealer kit - good value, he says. This brings me to my second question:

2. Which mechanic? My regular guy has worked on our vehicles for about 20 years - Citroens, Toyotas, Nissans, Volvos, and now my Legacy.

Small shop, father & son (both named John), no lifts, no computer, neat as a pin, many loyal customers. My neighbour's mechanic: English is not his first language (maybe not even his second) so there's a bit of work in the comprehension department, his shop is a mess - stuff strewn everywhere, obviously experienced with Subarus, highly recommended by my neighbour, whose word I trust. They've both said that it would take 5 to 6 hours, and their labour rates are about the same.

3. If I go with my regular guy, is there anything I should bring to his attention about the job? He's very careful & conscientious, but I'd like to give him a heads up on any little quirks that might not be obvious.

Thanks in advance.

Leroy

how many miles on the original clutch?

nipper

Nowhere near enough - 106,000 km. The previous owner was not too kind to the car, & most of my driving is heavy city stuff. The car is still quite drivable - I just have to remember to lighten up with the right foot...:-\

After picking up my car second hand, I had to replace the clutch at roughly the same mileage about 8 months after taking delivery.

I would use your normal guy, but thank the neighbor for their input.

Kevin

Yeah, I think that's the best plan. He may never have done a Subaru clutch before, but he's a great mechanic, so I'm sure he'll figure it out.

Any recommendations on an aftermarket clutch manufacturer?

Yeah, I think that's the best plan. He may never have done a Subaru clutch before, but he's a great mechanic, so I'm sure he'll figure it out.

Any recommendations on an aftermarket clutch manufacturer?

I would go with OE. There is another brand that is recomended, but i forget who they are (someone will chime in). If you go aftermarket google the name. Since your mechanic hasnt done one before, make sure he replaces the throw out bearing clips. That seems to be a trouble spot when people reuse the clips, they have problems not long after.

nipper

i'd go with the OE kit and your mechanic as well. most, but not all kits, come with everything you need except the clips nipper refers too. make sure the throw out bearing and pilot bearing are both replaced, even if they don't come with the kit. and replace the clips as well, which haven't come in any of the kits i've bought. fairly straight forward, he won't have any trouble doing this subaru clutch, even if it's his first one.