Ultimate Subaru Message Board

One more (or two) prospective "new" car

2003 legacy L w/35,000 miles or a 2001 OBW limited W/ 65,000 miles both have manual trannies (YEAH!!).

If you were going to purchase one, which would it be and why?

I hope my "new" car questions are not getting annoying yet, I'm trying to make a sound investment. As I have never paid over 4,500 dolars for a car (well , maybe over a several period of hot-rodding and suspension tuning I have, but not all at once), pulling the trigger on a 12-14,000 used car purchase makes me a little nervous.

I definately understand. I've never actually bought a new car myself. Only bought from a dealer twice, and both vehicles were fairly used at the time. I don't know much about the ej25, but at some point, Subaru fixed (for the most part) the headgasket issues. I'd take that into consideration. If they're both in the clear, I'd go with the Outback, but that's just personal preference. I think its ride height is just about perfect. High enough that it's actually EASY to get into the drivers seat, but not so high that you split your pants. And no falling into the seat either. I think the Outback is a good compromise between the handling and comfort of a car and the versitility and visibility of a truck/SUV.

Edit: Read the "Which Engine Models Blow Headgaskets" Thread. It says that all ej25's up til MY 2002 have issues, with 2003 being "suspicious."

So I retract my opinion. The Leg might be less likely to develop headgasket problems in the future, although there is no guarantee.

the 2003 has less of a chance of having a weak HG.

If you go with the older one, bank away some money just-in-case.

Figure in 1500 for a HG, then see what the cost is between the two cars. I suspect the older one will be cheaper even with the 1500 figured in.

nipper

The 2003 might be the better choice (less miles and less likely to develope premature HG trouble) . But I do like the ride-height of the outback. Both of the cars in question are at a local dealership, I have exchanged emails one and a half times with a sales rep. I emailed and showed intrest, the sales rep replied thanking me for my intrest and suggested I call, I responded that I was busy and asked a few questions via email:

Does the car have a warrenty/ or a gaurentee(sp?) of mechanical condition?

Are complete service records available?

May I take the car in for an independant mechanical inspection?

I have not yet received a reply to my questions. It has only been a day , the rep could be gathering info.... Oh, now there is a 1999 OBW with 95,000 I found for half of what the price of that 2003 is. Man its good to have options!!! I'm pretty sure I can pull off a head gasket job my self. HMMMMM