Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suspension Woes

So I blasted a football sized rock with the left front on my 89 GL wagon. It bottomed out the suspension and bent the rim some. I didn't notice any difference in the handling of the car afterwards, but after a week the tire started to get a blister on the sidewall. So I had four new tires on the car and it started pulling to the right really bad. So I put the tape measure to it and found the left front to be 1/4 inch farther forward than the right front. Anyone know what might have bent to account for this? My thought was that it might be the strut. Just so everyone knows, I measured from the rear axles and many points on the body and came up with the same difference. If only the radius rods were adjustable.

Might have to get a new radius rod -- sounds like it might be bent. My friends EA82 pulled really hard, and we noticed that the right front wheel was a full inch farther back than on the other side. When it's that bad, the radius rod bend was quite noticeable. But your's might not be noticeable with only 1/4"

Z

Might have to get a new radius rod -- sounds like it might be bent. ...

I Agree, I have damaged both my Subie Wagons in same Situations (Not only Rocks, sometimes a Huge Hole in the Pavement can do that too) so maybe the Rod is Damaged, Also I Suggest to Check the Entire suspension, ´cos maybe other parts did Suffer from the Hit...

Good Luck! :)

Oh. It moved FORWARD?? :-\ Hmmmm..... bend your radius rod to pull it back :lol:

You could probably just realign it, and it would be fine. If it moved forwards, the toe in is probably too wide now. I bet you could get it back in alighnment and not worry about it being moved forwards that little mit.