Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First the wheels, now the rear brakes are rusted on!!

DH is getting sooooo frustrated!!! First the wheels were rusted on so tightly that it took driving with 2 loose lug nuts to break them free. And even then, the one rear needed heating up and a sledge hammer to finish the job!!

Now he cannot remove the rear brakes!! I believe this 1994 Legacy has rotors and calipers on all four (correct me if I am wrong, since I have not dared venture into the lair of the garage during this project). He has done all the usual things to remove rusted on stuff--ANY suggestions or experience in dealing with this issue, PLEASE POST!!!!!

Thanks in Advance!!

The Cowgirl:)

Hummmm...good point....I guess I will go yell at him and ask...wouldn't that be a "DOH!" moment for him....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ETA: Okay, he says parking brake not on. Rotors rusted on, he has heated them several times, but they won't budge. There is a backing plate that only has a small section to allow access to backside of rotor. There are not holes to put in bolts to be able to grab it with bolts and press it off. Any ideas guys????

Hummmm...good point....I guess I will go yell at him and ask...wouldn't that be a "DOH!" moment for him....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ETA: Okay, he says parking brake not on. Rotors rusted on, he has heated them several times, but they won't budge. There is a backing plate that only has a small section to allow access to backside of rotor. There are not holes to put in bolts to be able to grab it with bolts and press it off. Any ideas guys????

Has he already removed the caliper? With the caliper off, there's a pretty good section of the disc to hit with that hammer. Tapping around where the rotor mounts to the hub and applying PB blaster....patience!

Nathan

Has he already removed the caliper? With the caliper off, there's a pretty good section of the disc to hit with that hammer. Tapping around where the rotor mounts to the hub and applying PB blaster....patience!

Nathan

Yup, he got the caliper off. There is a section of disc, but it isn't much. Tapping, heat, applied WD-40 (I know, not the greatest stuff..).....He says he heated it up enough to get the axle grease to smoke (can he get it that hot?? are the wheel bearings maintence-able or are they factory sealed??? I'm smelling trouble ahead maybe....)

I might have to actually venture into the lair to help him with this part of the project.......:-\ :-\

There is a backing plate that only has a small section to allow access to backside of rotor. There are not holes to put in bolts to be able to grab it with bolts and press it off. Any ideas guys????

There should be a 'wheel' visible through that access hole, it adjusts the parking brake shoes. Make sure it's loosened (made as short as possible).

Great picture AndyJo!! :D

nickb21, I will have to ask him if he might have tried that already...I don't know if he will be up to working on car tonight since he won't be home till after 9pm. I will have to post again and let you all know what he says.

Poor dude has to wear long john and layers to work in the cold. Even with torpedo heater blasting, he still gets frozen working out there. I'm hoping it will warm up soon...even up to 30 degree F would be warm right now!!!

wheel off

lug nuts back on until the stud is level with

the nut, this is for stud protection.

With a real man's hammer hit the rotor

where it is in contact with the hub

(not the part the pads ride on)

Use a "through the ball" strike!

"Deep Creep" is the answer in pent. oils

Might as well spray the WD perfume under your arms

Hope this helps, good luck.

Well, I bought him the PB Blaster, and this morning he soaked it before he left for work. It's been sitting all day. So we just finished dinner and he got all bundled up to brave the cold garage to see if he can get the rotors off. I will let yu know how he does.....:o

Well, he got the passenger side rotor off!! :banana: He bought a 3 prong puller, just in case, and ended up having to use it to remove the rotor. He ground three notches into the hub part of the rotor, and he says when it finally let loose, it let loose with a big *BAM* noise!!! It was really stuck!!!

The backing plate is toast though; Rusted so bad its going to come off on soon. DH isn't sure he wants to tackle that repair at the moment. What you do guys think?? Is that a PITA repair, easier than he thinks it is, or not necessary to do it at all??

You could get a set of used spindles, but taking the old ones out won't be easy either. But is the backing plate rusted or just the dust shield? If it's just the thin piece right behind the rotor it's not a big deal. The backing plate is what the caliper bracket bolts to, and is pretty thick.

You could get a set of used spindles, but taking the old ones out won't be easy either. But is the backing plate rusted or just the dust shield? If it's just the thin piece right behind the rotor it's not a big deal. The backing plate is what the caliper bracket bolts to, and is pretty thick.

Hummmm....:confused: .... dunno.... will have to ask him when he wakes up... he was happy he was able to unstick the one rotor last night, but was frustrated because the air compressor we have isn't very strong and takes forever to refill itself. I guess he spent most of the time waiting on it to refill so he could use his power tools!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: He's thinking he's going to splurge and buy a new compressor (bigger/better) instead of upgrading his cell phone...

Will let you know what he says....

Well, DH says that it is the thin piece of metal backing plate that is rusted almost off. He's glad to hear its not critical to operations, and thinks he will just let it go. It looks to him as if that part is part of a bigger part. Just for curiousity, is it? Or is it replaceable without having to R & R a bigger part??

Tonight he's supposed to work on breaking loose the drivers side rotor...I will let you all know how he does....;) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Bet you all thought I got lost, but nope--I was just waiting for DH to figure out how to get the drivers side rear rotor off!!!

Well, after a week or two of pondering, mulling it over, and of course finally having the time, he dug into the project yesterday on his day off.

I will cut to the chase and say that even with several PB Blaster soakings (as best as he could), and repositioning the improvised puller twice, it finally came off with a big *BANG!* of a noise!! :clap::banana::clap::banana:

He came to the conclusion that the parking brake was hanging up on it, and that is why it was so tough to "convince" it to come off....so a previous poster was right--It was the parking brake!!!

So DH finished the spring/strut install and went on to R&R the muffler (which he needs a gasket for--part will be here Saturday), and he bought plugs and wires to do a tune up....

So a big thank you to all of you SubiePros and DH could not have done it without you!!! :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: Wish I could hand out real ones, but virtual ones will have to do....