Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82t+Rodknock=EJ swap.

flyjum

Ok well I just pulled the old ea82t out for a BHG job and some head and block welding. As I was doing it I press on one of the pistons and it goes down about 1/4 of a inch. So I know it has rod knock, bad block, badheads and bad wiring so.... EJ22 TIME. There is this junkyard here thats called pick n pull and they have a ej22 for 89 bucks. It has a auto tho and I need stick. What is best ej22 to get and what tranny will handle some good power? Im talking 300+ hp. 6 Speed would be great but they cost 3k+. Will a 5 speed legacy tranny work or a wrx tranny? Also what is needed for a ej22 swap. Im planing on turboing it. Is it worth it to save and weight for the junkyard to get a ej22t? What diffrence in ej22t and ej22 as far as horsepower goes. The ea82t is out of a auto 86 xt BTW.

well...300hp is asking ALOT out of an EJ22e. if you're shooting for that much power, unless you know a crapload about turbo engine building, a 6-speed tranny is going to be a pretty small cost in the grand scheme of things.

why not just get an adapter plate and run your EA82 5-speed? it'll handle all the power the EJ22e can put out N/A, and maybe more. I intend to throw as much power as possible at my RX trans....we'll see what gives first. than I'll have that cryo treated and keep running it....

but, there's a guy with a fully built, twin-charged (both Super and Turbo) EJ (22e block, 22t crank, rods, and pistons, and JDM DOHC heads) pushing about 300awhp through the stock 1990 legacy 5-speed.

it all depends on use. if you abuse it, you could blow any subaru 5-speed with an EA82 in front of it. if you take care of it, 300bhp or even awhp is definitely possible.

hehe he was asking if he should wait for ej22T(I know wrong name) not build up a Ej22e.

As for your answer.look in the classifieds for a rearended/rolled/other wise totaled wrx.Take motor,tranny,and engine wiring harness.Then you will have one killer car.