Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Both the '98 Forester I had and my current '00 Forester make a quick

'jump' when leaving a full stop most of the time. This happens unless you

touch the gas pedal like a feather, and sometimes even then, and my foot just isn't that light. It's more of an annoyance than a serious problem, but I'm wondering if this is common and why it happens.

You could look at it that way, but it could also mean the idle is too fast.

I should have described it as more of a lurching forward, and the shocks

feel like they hit their stops. In general, I think it wastes more gas, and is

not great for the mechanicals over a period of years. I have spent a lot on keeping my Forester maintained, but as I mentioned, it's more of an annoyance than a serious problem.

I kinda like the lurch....

It's even better when you wait for the opposite light to turn yellow, hold the brake with your left foot, give it some gas with your right, and pop off on the brake and hammer the gas when it turns green. Don't do this too long, cause it warms up the tranny fluid in the torque converter pretty good.

It's even better when you wait for the opposite light to turn yellow, hold the brake with your left foot, give it some gas with your right, and pop off on the brake and hammer the gas when it turns green. Don't do this too long, cause it warms up the tranny fluid in the torque converter pretty good.

My mom's 98 legacy does a really annoying thing similar to what is being descirbed here. But it lunges forward and falls on its face and tries to stall if you nail it from a stop.

I would guess it wears the brakes down faster too. A friend who has driven my car says it's faster off the line than his Acura NSX. Heck of a lot cheaper too. :)