Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is your average MPG in EJ22 NA Legacy?

Hurricane:

Are you making a lot of really short city trips? If you make a lot of short trips that don't allow the engine to really warm up (15 minute runs to the train station) your mileage will be awful. I don't quite understand the science behind it but it's a well established issue that gets written up from time to time in the press. Usually when gas prices start to skyrocket. It's worse if you have an automatic with AWD. Remember that a few older Legacies are not AWD (up to 95?).

usually get 26mpg highway in ej22e car with ej25 block pretty open 2.5" exhaust 4.11. going to 6k on 1st and 2nd most every light and then cruising around in 5th at 1k rpm gets about 24 in city.:eek:

I run a mix of half 87 half 91. I want to try running straight 87 but have only done that when up at 12000 feet for extended periods.

Hurricane:

Are you making a lot of really short city trips? If you make a lot of short trips that don't allow the engine to really warm up (15 minute runs to the train station) your mileage will be awful. I don't quite understand the science behind it but it's a well established issue that gets written up from time to time in the press. Usually when gas prices start to skyrocket. It's worse if you have an automatic with AWD. Remember that a few older Legacies are not AWD (up to 95?).

I get about about 200miles to the fill up with my exhaust on. I think the new intake will help alot. I drive about 40 miles round trip everyday to work then home and then run errands in the evening. I had a tune up done so all that is good, I really think its the intake, that was the problem on my Lexus.

I very consistantly average 9.0 L/100 km (26 mpg US) in the summer and 10 L/100km (24 mpg US) in the winter during my daily commute.

Putting the fuse in made no difference and running on premium made it slightly worse.

My best at normal hwy speeds (75 mph)was 8.2 L/100km (about 29 mpg) and my all time best on a long slow country drive was 33 mpg going up to Whistler and back last summer.

91 Legacy LS AWD and auto

• 2 weeks later...
99 leg ej22 phase II....bone stock with lead foot 25 town consistantly with an anomalous 39 highway running 93 shell. typical hwy 33-36 at 70 mph.

Holy Cow! 33-36 on the Highway??? Sedan or Wagon? Is it a Manual or Automatic? If it's an automatic, is the AWD disabled? Do you have a clean top with no roof rails? Is it stock? Are you from Canada using Imperial Gallons???? I don't think I've heard of anyone getting that kind of Highway mileage consistently...

I picked up my 1999 Brighton Wagon, auto, EJ22 phaze 2, in late December. I kept pretty good records to see what mileage I was getting. Always used the same gas pump too. We had virtually no snow and warm (0 to minus 5 C) temperatures in December so drivng was easy. Achieved 39 M.P.G.(real, or imperial gallons) at around 55-60 M.P.H. on longer highway trips. Then the snow came (around 10 feet fell from mid Jan. to end of Feb.- we're in the snow belt) and the temp was down to -20 C for weeks at a time, so we just went the 40 miles into town and back once a week for supplies, mostly on snow and ice covered roads and mileage went down to 30 M.P.G.-city/highway combined.

I call it the Mule because it isn't pretty but it stubbornly goes through anything in it's path. I have not had one regret (Knock on wood) about buying this car! :banana:

Well thanks for identifying yourself as Canadian and using Imperial gallons. It confuses us Yanks.

One U.S. gallon is ahboot 0.8327 Imperial gallons so:

Your results translated into "American" Gallons is:

Highway 32.5 mpg (Wow! Driving 55-60 really helps)

Combined 25 mpg

I'm thinking about those Labatt "I am a Canadian" beer commercials...:drunk:

I’ve got a 95 EJ2.2 transplanted into a 99 Outback. I’m a nerd too and I’ve recorded every tank of gas in Excel since the transplant back in May of 05. I’m averaging 26.295 with a high of 33.117 and a low of 21.368. My low MPG reading all have notes attached that say “lots of idle time to warm up car” or “car load of people for trip to Adirondacks”.

I also graph the MPG for my vehicles (1998 Tacoma) vs. the average daily temperature. The temperature trend vs. MPG is very obvious. (I also graph gas prices for each tank an it follows the temperature pretty close).

I’m not much of a lead foot, half the time I drive like a 75 year old woman trapped in a 32 year old mans body (50-55 mph on back roads). Every once in a while I act my age but most of the time I’m not in too much of a hurry.

My 96 Legacy a/t gets around 20-21 pure city, around 30 highway. My best was all highway on a road trip this summer in hotter weather- 32 mpg. I do mostly city driving and it kills me... i want to figure out how to get better mileage. For those curious, the car has no roof rack and I run 10w-30 all year.

• 4 months later...
Holy Cow! 33-36 on the Highway??? Sedan or Wagon? Is it a Manual or Automatic? If it's an automatic, is the AWD disabled? Do you have a clean top with no roof rails? Is it stock? Are you from Canada using Imperial Gallons???? I don't think I've heard of anyone getting that kind of Highway mileage consistently...

5MT Wagon with a roof rack, both hood and sunroof deflector, running bone stock on touring radials. Just hit 34 mpg on a recent trip across the Mojave running 93 octane gasoline traveling between 75 in AZ on the I-40 and 55 - 65 through California. The first tank went something like 435 miles out of 13 gallons.

My first Legacy was a '90 Sedan 2.2L that consistently got 30 mpg on the highway and 27 or 28 around town. On a highway trip to Chicago where I averaged 65 mph on the whole trip (850 miles in 13 hours, and that included rest stops, so I was flying) I got 32 mpg.

Second Legacy was a '96 wagon 2.2L that would only get 26 mpg anywhere, anytime, no matter what I did. Highway, city, idling for a year and a half...

1990 Legacy LS wagon, 2.2 na, 4 spd Auto, AWD getting an average of around 28.5 mpg (US) mostly country driving - 50 mile commute on 2 lane country roads - using cruise whenever possible set at about 62 mph (2500 rpm).

have only had the car a couple of months now, but pretty happy with what I am getting mpg wise considering what it is. will have to see how it does this winter...

the old GL wagon - FWD, 5spd - was getting closer to 34 mpg, but - sigh - those days are over.

geez - guess i should really change my avatar...