Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sound clip of l.8 engine w/aftermarket muffler?

search youtube for some videos, if you just want to know what the motor sounds like with a little less restriction on it.

If you are more looking for details on the exhaust system in question, alongside your audio clip, there are people here who may be able to provide what youre looking for.. but i know looking for youtube videos is probably going to yield quicker results.

these motors sound awesome unhinged... not your typical four banger :grin::burnout:

Not great video, but the sound is good. Apart from all the wind and rattles..

http://offroadingsubarus.com/downloads/2inch_subie_soundclip.wmv

Not sure what the muffler is but I've been told Magnaflow makes them the same, which it looks like this on the inside.

_____| |_

|....../ /..|

|...../ /...|

|..../ /....|

|.../ /.....|

|../ /......|

|./ /.......|

-| |-------

1 and 3/4 pipe from the heads, into a cat which I have a 2" round lump from inside it on my desk (as in, it blow it's self apart and out the exhaust.) Then after the cat is a 2" pipe to the back through the "straight thru" muffler.

I like the sound, but it's a tab loud for me. With my EJ22 I'm going to try and keep the cat if it's in good condition, this should get it a little quiter.

Now you all have to remember, internet videos and mp3s are all relative. How far the mic is from the sound source, the projected direction of the sound, quality of hardware, etc, all make a difference in what one "sounds like" in a video/audio clip. I, for one, would not make a decision based on audio clips I find online.

starkiller, you're up in Washington. I'm sure theres hundreds of fellow members nearby that you can listen to with your own ears. :)

I have a faux Flowmaster on my Brat, and audio clips I take with my camera make it sound like a 2cycle bike/chainsaw. However, in person, it sounds pretty bad rump roast.

Just my two bits. :cool:

http://media.putfile.com/PICT0667

I loved it with the Thrush glasspack. it was kinda loud, but easily under the 99dB sound requirement for the offroad park. and had a nice rumble. I just cut the stock muffler off, and clamped the glasspack on in it's place....

Now you all have to remember, internet videos and mp3s are all relative. How far the mic is from the sound source, the projected direction of the sound, quality of hardware, etc, all make a difference in what one "sounds like" in a video/audio clip. I, for one, would not make a decision based on audio clips I find online.

The above file holds ALOT of fidelity when it comes to the sound of the exhaust note.. with that glasspack, it sounds very close to what it sounds like unmuffled (ie straight pipes) but from what numbchux says its a tad quieter.. but especially at the beginning of that one, you can hear the nice, deep resonance along with an even note across the scale.. these engines sound like baby lions purring and growling :banana:

The above file holds ALOT of fidelity when it comes to the sound of the exhaust note.. with that glasspack, it sounds very close to what it sounds like unmuffled (ie straight pipes) but from what numbchux says its a tad quieter.. but especially at the beginning of that one, you can hear the nice, deep resonance along with an even note across the scale.. these engines sound like baby lions purring and growling :banana:

yep, I've tried taking clips just for the exhaust note, and none of them do the sound justice like that clip does.

it does sound a lot like it would without a muffler, but deeper, and quieter. I love the Thrush glasspack sound on the EA82, if I still had one, I'd be running that combo.

I liked it so much, I'm thinking about doing the same on my EJ22.....but it sounds pretty sweet unmuffled...

I have to agree. But, with my car it sounds pretty much just like that in the real, only 4 times better :grin:

It also sounds 10x better from the outside as it does the inside. Inside it sounds like I had 5 exhaust leaks and a few bolts loose.

Personally every EJ I've heard with a glass pack muffler sounds ____. No offence, if you like it, cool... I'm just sayign I prefer the straight thru "but not quite" mufflers that get the sound waves bouncing a little more in the muffler. Like the muffler I described in my earlier post.

• 1 month later...