Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats in YOUR heads?

So I found some pics of the EA81 heads I cleaned up for an engine I resealed.

*WARNING* These pics are not for the queesy or for young children....

2741593210067339125TWFFPZ_th.jpg

2244746910067339125bYksnX_th.jpg

2588455050067339125ExAAks_th.jpg

Click on the pics for a larger view of them. The last pic is a before and after of a quick headgasket surface prep. The head on the left is still all dirty when it came off of the engine and the one on the right is after about 5 minutes and a red scotch brite pad... All of the black gunk came from the center oil passages on the bottom of the heads, the ones that go around the exhaust ports.

Wow... those are pretty clean.. I should clean my EA81dc heads up when they come off the block.

I've seen gunk in the oil passages of other cars, it all came from Castrol GTX/2... Horrid oil that.

When I started cleaning them up, they were black inside and out, due to a blown front main seal on the engine @ 4000 rpms...

The main reason I figured why the oil did this is because.. A) The oil was never changed when the engine was swapped from the original car ('81 2wd wagon) to the '85 Brat. It blew the front main on me on my way to work one morning and I towed it back to the house and swapped the original hydrolifter EA81 back into the Brat. Also this was helped by B) driving at high rpms for about 50 miles (like 4500 rpms). This would help heat up the oil enough to start solidifying it around the hot exhaust port.

As for the Castrol GTX, I have never had any problems and I ran it in my JDM high compression EA71. All my other Subaru engines (turbo) have had Mobil 1 5w30 in them. This engine will be getting Castrol GTX 5w30 in it for the drive home...

looks just like the heads off my ea81t did before i cleaned them.... only mine were about 5 times worse!!

I think mine was just caused by the lack of oil cooler, and running mineral oil. ea81ts seem to make oil very very hot....

It only gets fully synthetic now.

Maybe it's just Australian GTX/2 then :eek: :-\

I talked to a mechanic once who also said he has seen the same, and he never uses it now. I won't touch the stuff, but that's just me.

I've done my best to keep my eyes peeled on what other people experience with their motor oils, and you are among the first I can recall to say bad things about castrol GTX... BUT oils change, and I suppose they may well be different down under.

If anyone else has anything bad to say about castrol GTX, air it out! I had always considered this one of the better conventional oil brands out there.

I've done my best to keep my eyes peeled on what other people experience with their motor oils, and you are among the first I can recall to say bad things about castrol GTX... BUT oils change, and I suppose they may well be different down under.

If anyone else has anything bad to say about castrol GTX, air it out! I had always considered this one of the better conventional oil brands out there.

I used castrol gtx magnatec on my latest oil change (because I could get it cheap-ish) and I hate it, never heard the lifters before and since the new oil it will tick when cold, and even tick some at low rpm's hot, so definately bad for the lifters mkay?

no more gtx/magnatec for me

I was using GTX prtotec before which caused all that black carp.... Its probably fine as long as your oil stays nice and cool...