Ultimate Subaru Message Board

55/100w Globes in 1996 Legacy

Does anyone have 55/100watt globes in their standard headlight and any problems occur? Just that my headlights/full beam isn't bright enough and I would like to install better lighting - that guy in auto store was against the idea. It has glass outside but not sure what inside is made out of.

Are there any alternative options?

Cheers

AP

People have run the higher wattage bulbs without problems, and some people have run the higher wattage bulbs and melted the connector, and/or had problems.

The reflector is plastic I believe, but I think you should be ok in running the higher wattage bulbs if everything else is ok. But you're still taking a risk.

It's actually very tough and higi as bullit proof "glass".. Its really tough, and can withstand high temperiture plastic. If it melts, i would be more concerned about calling the fire department to put out the rest of the car fire. Thats the only way it could melt.

nipper

Does anyone have 55/100watt globes in their standard headlight and any problems occur? Just that my headlights/full beam isn't bright enough and I would like to install better lighting - that guy in auto store was against the idea. It has glass outside but not sure what inside is made out of.

Cheers

AP

Can you post a link to the ones you are talking about?

Before replacing any bulb's or headlight's - check voltage on the bulb's and search for power/current-flow drops (cause of age and sometime bad grounding or a bad bulb's plug).

Volage of 12.5/12.8V instead of 14.V on the bulb's plug is not fair acceptable to get the best out of you'r bulb's/headlights.

A "good" drop of voltage should be maximum 0.5V (its also a good idea to check the voltage on the fuel pump).

Itzik.

Cheers

AP

Install the lamps with heavier guage wiring and a relay to carry the extra current; wire the relay coil into the existing circuit. Stock wiring was not meant to carry the extra current.