Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just took the 87 for a spin

About three weeks ago I bought a 98 Out Back Wagon. I absolutely love the new Sube. I parked my 87 GL the day I got the OBW. I looked at her today and noticed that the left rear tire was low. I drove her down to the local gas staion to air up the tire and realised how much I miss that thing.

The turning radius seems so much tighter and the ground clearance is so much better. I am now asking why did I get this other wagon. I mean the extra power in the OBW is very very nice, but she just seems to lack a certain charm. Am I out of my mind on this?

Anyone else out there ever experience anyhting like this? I have buyers remorse for a car I really like.

i`m going through the same exact thing, believe me you are not alone.

i bought a 96 impreza outback a couple months ago. i love the uphill power and smoothness, but man, i drove my brat down the road the other day and it just made me smile ear to ear.

theres nothing like the old ones, no doubt about it. the sound, the sloppy shifter, the stiff suspension, tight steering, its awesome. i can`t wait to get the brat restored so i can start driving it daily again, and sell the imp. it'd be awesome to combine the 2. ej22 5sp d/r brat:banana:

It's normal. When I drive the 240SX, it's fun and all - it's got over twice the HP, better handling and more comfort-factor than my GL, but...

When I plop into my plaid seat and touch those two magical wires hanging from the dash and hear the open-at-the-head exhaust roar...it's spectacular. That old thing is slower than any other car I've driven, it handles like a river barge and smells like chocolate milk all the time, but I can't quit it.

Don't feel remorseful - both your cars have a distinct purpose. You just have to remember that you love both of them.

I know how you feel too...drove Bucky ( my 92 Loyale with 202K miles) today for the first time in about 3 weeks.....been running my 88 XT6 w/23+K miles ...and I missed my boy...I adore my Loyale...sloppy shifter,no power,no brakes,axle clicking and wobble wobble wheels..No traction in the snow due to bad tires....and I loved every minute of it...Darn old dependable POC...how can you not love them...I know how easy it is to hate my XT6 though:-\

It was just a blast. I was taking dips in the road doing 45 mph with no bottoming out. The OBW would bottom out at 30. I was revving high and shifting hard, just to hear the squeal of the tires and see the little black line on the road. The OBW will outhandle and out accelerate my GL. There is just something about an old Sube. Considering my hatred of the EA82, I can't believe I enjoyed driving the 87 so much.

:brow:

This is a funny thread. Really funny. :clap:

My vehicle history as far as production dates have been '84 non-SOOB, '73 non-SOOB, '72 non-SOOB, '85 GL Hatch FWD, '91 non-SOOB, '89 JUSTY RS 4WD. Hard to say on new vs. old, they were/are all cruddy and underpowered, while having their loveable 'nuances'.

Really funny thread. :clap:

Respectfully,

1989 Subaru JUSTY RS 4WD

126, 711 miles

The older subies are the ************. I sold mine and now Im getting another.

There is just something about the "man i shouldnt have done that" thought and still having your car run as normal that makes you smile.

Like driving through a giant field covered in head sized rocks and boulders at 40mph, shifting a 6-7 grand, and driving into the bushes.