Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aaack! U joints/Driveshaft/Center Support Bearing...

:(:mad: :-\

Any/all wisdom on the below (longish-questions at bottom! :) ) would be appreciated!!!

1. Drive the other day became buzzy (humming from undercarriage).

2. Upon close inspection, visible portions of the universal joints looked as though they were 'crumbling'!

3. Upon removal of the 2 part drive shaft, hanger/center support bearing was observed to be quite chewed up!

Good News:

Found New Center Support Bearings

Bad News:

As far as I can tell by my initial research and observation, the u joints were originally 'staked-in' to place (lip of some sort 'peened' to hold in place). AKA UNreplaceable.

Found a couple of companies offering staked in replacement joints inexpensively, but upon consulting with several driveline shops, was advised against such as correct refitment is VERY difficult due need for machine shop quality groves to be cut into input area in ordr to maintain true center line.

By not doing so, I am told that there will most likely be a definite vibration, related noise, and premature failure of the replacement joints.

The only other option seems a professional rebuild or new junkyard shaft.

Reputable rebuilds are looking in the $400 range for parts alone.

Junkyard shaft has that whole mystery life expectancy issue :-\ .

:confused: Has anyone had experience in this area of JUSTY?

:confused: Any trick to making quality use of the staked-in replacement joint kits?

Thanks alot team,

1989 Subaru JUSTY RS 4WD

126, 711 miles

I've had to replace the universals in my 87Gl. What i did was go to a shop that made custom drive shafts. They replaced the universals for 150.00.

The carrier bearing itslef may be a lot tougher to find, but a good drive shaft shop can work miracles. They replaced the universal with one that was popular and servicable.

nipper

Hmmm... (appreciate the reply, Nip)...

How long ago? Any vibrations, sounds just yet?

So far the local specialty shops are scratching their... heads :-\ and talking about 'making' other applications fit :confused: ...

Anyone have a favorite rebuilder - I've found one Cali option, 1 Tejas, so far...

:( ,

1989 Subaru JUSTY

126, 711 miles

I'm your neighbor in LI (just noticed that!... Hey wasn't that you who cut me off in the HOV, the other day!! ;)) Who was 'your boy' on that job... if he was good maybe he's still in business? I'll bring your receipt in ;) .

Respectfully,

1989 Subaru JUSTY RS 4WD

126, 011 miles

Order a whole driveshaft and carrrier bearing from a wrecking yard in California, Oregon, or Washington. They have ton's of them out there. And they don't salt road so the shafts are ussualy in great shape(ZERO rust!!:banana: . I had one disintegrate here in Wisconsin(rust-belt). I got mine from a yard in Corvallis OR. B+R wrecking. Also look up SSK recyclers.(Subaru, Suzuki, Kia) They are in Rancho Cordova, CA and have ACRES of Subaru's WITH NO RUST!!!!. They would be a likely source of justy parts.

:headbang: GL Loyale,

Next time your East Coast/NY message me, I owe you a drink hydrating or otherwise:drunk: ... depending on what other advice comes up on this thread, I may or may not get the driveshaft bits from them still nervous about a 100k plus mile unit ---- but both links were super helpful for other searches I've been carrying out!!

Much Obliged!,

1989 Subaru JUSTY RS 4WD

126, 711 miles

:(:mad: :-\

Any/all wisdom on the below (longish-questions at bottom! :) ) would be appreciated!!!

Bad News:

As far as I can tell by my initial research and observation, the u joints were originally 'staked-in' to place (lip of some sort 'peened' to hold in place). AKA UNreplaceable.

Found a couple of companies offering staked in replacement joints inexpensively, but upon consulting with several driveline shops, was advised against such as correct refitment is VERY difficult due need for machine shop quality groves to be cut into input area in ordr to maintain true center line.

By not doing so, I am told that there will most likely be a definite vibration, related noise, and premature failure of the replacement joints.

Hey There,

Here's another link for you:

http://www.rockforddriveline.com/replacem.htm

List of u-joints to fit your Justy and instructions for changing the u-joints out. Same Joint as some old Datsuns and I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't need any grooves cut. HTH.

Later On,

Doug

Doug,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

Rockford was one of the places I was looking into - in Illinois.

I worry as the only feedback on stake-in replacements in general (web and in person) I've heard is square peg in a round hole type reactions...

Will have to make a determination in a few days so will try to post an update here.

In the meantime, if anyone has tried the staked-in replacements or any opinionsregarding such (even changing from a 2 piece shaft to a one piece) I'm still open to ideas.

Kanpai,

1989 Subaru JUSTY RS 4WD

126, 711 miles

Hi #89,

I have read of one experience with changing u-joints on a Justy. The report said a little dremel work was all that was needed. I've personally not had to change any of mine yet.

I have changed many u-joints tho. If I ever have to change them in a Justy, I'd probably torch the old ones out. Then knock the cups out, being careful not to distort or otherwise damage the shaft. Clean up with a dremel on the burrs and flat file any clearance on the inside diameter if needed.

I don't have one out of the car to measure, but Rockford gives you all the dimensions needed. I don't believe it's a round hole, square peg type situation.

Just a matter of having the right u-joint and the skill to fit them properly. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Good luck with it, and you're welcome.

Doug

The problem with changing UJoints in the subaru driveline is that they are very difficult to center, resulting in axial runout between sections of driveline, leading to vibration problems and premature failure. As stated before, a competent machine shop SHOULD be able to center them properly and re-stake them in place, and if they cant... dont go there anymore. I agree with nipper, on page 1, a good driveline shop is invaluable... you might look into his suggestion.

I am here in CA, Subaru/Suzuki/Kia in Rancho Cordova ROCKS. Their service is good, pricing is competitive, even for the junkyard world.. I know they will ship interstate, but I dont know what the charge would be. You'll be looking around 250 bucks for a used complete driveline assy, IIRC...at least they used to be. ( I know, and a loaf of bread was a nickel, right?)

As mentioned, changing the joints requires precise alingment and centering. There are no grooves for circlips. They are pressed into the yoke from factory, very tightly. It would be hard to get them in, and hareder to get them centered, AND THEN to get them properly staked in place. I've never seen a subie U-joint fail except those that are exposed to salt.(or majorly off-roaded/abused. And then only from beefed up engines putting more than stock power through em)