Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Snow tire Width reduction? For a GT, 205/55/16.

Hi all !

I was wondering if anyone out there that has a Legacy GT with 205/55/16 tires, reduced the size of there tire, when they got a set of true Winter Tires mounted on another set of rims? I'm asking because the next time I get another GT, I might get another set of wheels and TRUE snow tires that are more Narrower? Just so the snow has someplace to go. And of course is it SAFE?? Will it srew up suspension geometry?

Thanks, Ted

Yes, I believe it would be safe to get narrower snow tires. As long as you don't go TOO narrow. As long as the wheels fit the car, and don't rub the brakes, you should be in good shape. I'm thinking a like year set of steelies with hubcaps would be a good choice. 185/75-14 or 185/65-15's would keep your speedo in a reasonable range of error. REMEMBER all four tires have to be equal, but that goes without saying.

• 6 months later...
I think stock 15" clear your brakes, so you can go 195/60/15 or 185/65R15
The stock wheels on a gt though are the snowflake 16's. I mean, 15's probably squeeze on, but that makes things kinda complicated. Might as well just pick up a set of WRX rims (16's) and throw Blizzaks on them.

My Mom has the BFG T/A's in the 205/55R16 size. I think the 185/65R15's on stock Legacy L wheels sound like the best bet, AND they keep you alloys nice!:banana: Or you could get a set of thouse new Nokian WR's that are suppose to be YEAR ROUND tires. But I heard they are $$$!!