Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SPFI swap in progress!

SuperNova

I'm new to the Subaru world but im pretty impressed so far. A friend of mine was going to junk a clean 87' GL 4WD Hatch because of some cracked heads, and i couldnt pass that up. So, within the past month a brand new EA81, that i got from Colorado Component Rebuilders, has gone in. They also milled the heads down and added SPFI pistons to give me 9.5:1 compression ratio at no extra charge(COOL!). So now because of a possible bad carb, i've decided to go with injection. I found a complete 90' Loyale wagon at the local junk yard and worked my way down to $200 for everything (Sweet Deal). So tomorrow morning i will be heading down to strip the car and get everything i need for the swap. I've read both articles that were posted on USMB and i plan to have them both close by for reference. . . . Hopefully everything will go smooth and my car will be on the road in no time. If anybody has any QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, or ADVICE on anypart of this process that im about to take on feel free to let me know. Any help will be appriciated.

I hope you got the SPFI intake mainfold and not the MPFI or you just wasted $200. Only the ea82 SPFI manifold will bolt onto the ea81 heads.

IF you got the right stuff sounds like you're going to have a pretty sweet setup going on there.

just FYI nova, the MPFI have 4 intake runners each with it's own injector. The SPFI has two runners just like the EA81 and has a single injector in the TB (throttle body)

Yes, i know the differences between the two. I would definately go with MPFI if i could but that would mean going with an EA82. And since i just got the new EA81 i dont think thats going to be happening anytime soon.

Yes, i know the differences between the two. I would definately go with MPFI if i could but that would mean going with an EA82. And since i just got the new EA81 i dont think thats going to be happening anytime soon.

Well since you know the difference and all CHANGE THE TITLE

Cool, glad to hear you know what your on about, and that you have the right parts.

Should get a few more MPG out of that SPFI, good luck to you.

Its all good. And I didn't mean to come off as an as$ if I did.

Not at all. Im just trying to get all the input i can before i really get into the project. Thanks for trying to help out. If you have anymore tips in the future, let me know. Ill try and update the forum when i can.

I don't know too much about it in experiance. I have read up on it because I plan on doing it on the next ea81 car I get. General Disorder has a dead on write up for it here http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/EA81_SPFI_doc.html

He thourghly explains every detain you could possibly encounter with the swap.

You may have aready seen it linked here, but I would say its just about all you'd need.

Just got off the Phone with Supernova and all the parts but feul pump are off the junkyard car. It was an EA82 not an EA81 he was high on roofing Tar or something yesterday :clap::lol: and it is for sure SPFI I was looking at the manifold earlier. HEEEEERRRREEEEE WEEEEEEE GOOOOOO!

just when I thought that thing was out of my garage for good :dead:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Roofing tar.... Gotta love it.

So just to make sure, care to give a list of everything purchased for the swap.

Sure, i got a pretty good deal of $200 for everything: SPFI intake, throttle body, air cleaner assembly with MAF sensor, complete wiring harness from engine to dash, ECU, Distributor, Coil and mount, and Fuel pump, from the Junk yard. I also need to buy new fuel lines still and change the gear off of the old distributor to the new one and cut off one side of the distributor mount. But so far so good. Ill post a pic of the whole setup that i got from the yard.

dang that is one long freakin write up!!!!!!! i think ill stick to carb for a few years

Actually, for this being my first swap its going really smooth. Its definately a good idea to get everything off the same car. I got a really good idea of how everything is supposed to go back together because im the one that took it off. And so far, so good.

So looks like we have the Nippon-Denso distributor and according to the info we have we need the gear off a 4wd EA81. Now can we source the gear only or have to find a whole dis. for jus tthe gear? What do we need to do. Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

It is going well after some work with the local parts houses the feul is 80% plumbed the intake is on new cluth cable is here and the wireing is looking better by the snip. should be soon enough that the Old School Subbie rolls again!!!