Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lens cleaning on in-dash changer

I've got the 1-DIN in-dash CD changer (2001 Outback). It shuffles disks fine, but it doesn't play them.

What's the best practice for cleaning the lens on these things?

How well do they work? If cleaning doesn't fix it, is it worth finding an identical one from a salvage yard, or should I better find an aftermarket replacement?

they make a "CD lens cleaner". You can get these at your local Wal-Mart, or any discount store. It's basically a CD with little brushes. If this doesn't fix it, you may have some luck removing the player , opening the case & blowing it out. Use a can of compressed air, as it won't have any oil, or dirt in it. After all, if it's already broken, how much damage can you actually do?

As for replacing it, I'd definately get one from a salvage yard. that'd be your most cost,and labor effective move. Remember, eject your discs BEFORE unhooking the player. I've done this!:dead:

bah i've cleaned cd players of all types, disc changers or single players it's not hard at all. wow, it's weird saying cleaning cd lasers isn't hard yet earlier this week i was contemplating replacing the hvac due to a few bulbs being out...........

in any case disable the unit to where you can see the laser. take a q-tip, dip it in rubbing alcohol and give the laser a few strokes........ if you have access move the laser all the way to the outside (as if a disc were in there). This is called reseting the laser since discs are read from the inside-out.

in any case disable the unit to where you can see the laser. take a q-tip, dip it in rubbing alcohol and give the laser a few strokes........ if you have access move the laser all the way to the outside (as if a disc were in there). This is called reseting the laser since discs are read from the inside-out.

After cleaning the lens, I can play ONE disk (Pink Floyd, "Wish You Were Here") about one time in four. Once it gets going it's just fine, doesn't matter which slot the disk is in. But no other disks work at all. Sounds like something is rubbing on the CDs, but I can't tell what, and it's not leaving any marks on the CD either.

I took the unit out again and watched it with the lid off while it tried to play CDs. Here's the sequence:

Disk spins up

scratchy noise for a second, disk slows down somewhat

spins back up

scratchy noise again

spins back up

For Pink Floyd, when it works, it starts playing at this point. For other disks:

No scratchy noise. Lens-seeking noises that sound like a CD-ROM seeking across the disk in steps.

disk spins down and ejects.

Any further suggestions? It's probably cheaper to replace from a salvage yard than bring it in to a professional.