Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help me identify this part!

I am in need of some help. I noticed that there was a vacuum line not hooked up on my 1993 Loyale and saw that a sensor of some sort has been broken. This is located just under the air intake hose and right behind the thermostat housing. Any ideas as to what this is?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

yes i do know its the purge control solenoid valve. i broke mine yesterday and after trying to figure out what it was i just went to a parts yard

Haynes manuals are helpfull

Does anyone know if this is the same thing as the EGR solenoid?

Anybody have one lying around? Our junkyards don't seem to have many Subarus. I need to get a hold of one.

If it caused a CEL, I wouldn't have sugested it./quote]

You are right...I apologize. I really do appreciate your help. Electronics are a thing of mystery to me. I will go to my Radio Shack tomorrow and see what is available.

Thanks again.

General Disorder-

You said that there are 2 solenoids that I can replace this with. Can you tell me where the other one is. I would like to go ahead and get both of them taken care of now to alleviate headaches down the road.

Also, if you don't mind, what is the principle behind this. As I said in an earlier post I am a bit retarded when it comes to electronics, but I would like to understand what a resistor does to fool the computer. Rather than just fixing it and moving along, I would like to understand the electric principle.

Again...I really do appreciate your patience and help on this problem I am having.

The EGR and Purge solenoids are right next to each other on the top of the manifold. You'll see it.

Both are just on/off vacuum switches operated by the ECU. The ECU energizes an electromagnet inside the solenoid to open the vacuum flow. If the ECU does not sense a specific amount of resistance in the circuit, it will throw a code and illuminate the CEL. Since neither of these solenoids operate anything that is required for correct engine operation (both are emissions devices), simply fooling the ECU into thinking that the solenoid is there is enough to correct the situation. It has the side benefit of being a permanent fix - resistors have no moving parts and as such will outlast the rest of the car. The solenoids are a pain as they can be hard for some people to find at yards (although you can use almost any solenoid - Toyota's and other brands work - they just don't bolt up all pretty looking like the stock units), and cost around $80 each from the dealer.

GD

Thanks, GD. Its awesome that you took the time to help me understand. Makes perfect sense to me now. I really appreciate it. I will let you know how it turns out....even though I am confident it will work after hearing what you had to say.

• 2 weeks later...

General Disorder-

I finally got around to getting those resistors installed that you recommended. Problem solved! I really do appreciate your help and patience with me on this. And thanks for explaining what the resistor does to fool the ECU as well.

N