Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Forester - Cooked Engine - Advice Please?

I just bought a 98 Forester 2.5 DOHC automatic with what I thought was Timing belt failure with bent valves, but it turns out the knuckelhead actually drove it in an overheated state for about 25 miles until it just burned up.

My trusted mechanic who has done about 3 other subaru's like this took it out of the car and took a look at it and said--- time for new motor. I have looked for another 2.5, but they are quite pricey. I found a local 95 2.2 from an automatic and have researched the threads and it appears that it is a pretty clean swap once the flywheel is swapped.

Any red flags from any of you on this plan? I can get the 2.2 with about 90k on it for $400.00 with a 30 day warranty.

I need to decide Monday if you all can chime in, I would appreciate it.

I just bought a 98 Forester 2.5 DOHC automatic with what I thought was Timing belt failure with bent valves, but it turns out the knuckelhead actually drove it in an overheated state for about 25 miles until it just burned up.

My trusted mechanic who has done about 3 other subaru's like this took it out of the car and took a look at it and said--- time for new motor. I have looked for another 2.5, but they are quite pricey. I found a local 95 2.2 from an automatic and have researched the threads and it appears that it is a pretty clean swap once the flywheel is swapped.

Any red flags from any of you on this plan? I can get the 2.2 with about 90k on it for $400.00 with a 30 day warranty.

I need to decide Monday if you all can chime in, I would appreciate it.

Might want to look into this, but I thought it was illegal to put an older engine into a newer car.

With a 2,2 that would be a nice car. They came with 2.2s in other parts of the world. If everthing worked it would be rare for someone to notice the swap and several folks have done it. Check to see if they look at engine numbers where you live in an inspection. Ask your mechanic friend as it could be a pain if they do.

This is what I found on the legality of the whole thing.

I was more interested in hearing if anyone had done one.

Rules regulating engine swapping are not make/model specific. The simple rule is that a vehicle must have all emissions components that were present when it was manufactured, which may include:

• PCV - positive crankcase ventilation
  • ACL - air cleaner (thermostatic air cleaner)
  • AIS - secondary air injection
  • EGR - exhaust gas recirculation
  • EVAP - evaporative emission
  • CAT - catalytic convertor
  • SPK - spark control
  • FR - fillpipe restrictor
  • O2S - oxygen sensor

A 2.2 for 400.00 is to much, I would offer 200.00. Given no facts. you may have to reseal the engine. The 2.2 swap needs a few things other then the motor. Make sure the 2.2 includes the exhaust manifold.

1) Engine / use the exhaust manifold from the 2.2 donor

2) AC Compressor you must keep and hoses from your 2.5 mount onto the 2.2

3) Metal Power steering lines from the 2.5 move them over

4) The fly-wheel from the 2.5 will have to be moved over to the 2.2.

Thanks for the comments all.

msmithmmx, quick clarification, do I need to make sure the 2.2 AC compressor comes with the donor engine or retain my AC compressor from the 2.5?

To Clarify

1) You will need the AC Compressor and hoses from the 2.5.

2) You will need the metal power steering lines from the 2.2 donor car. They discoonect right above the front cross member.

3) If you go with the 2.2, I suggest you reseal what you can during the swap