Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil in the pcv hose

I recently posted a thread about white smoke from exhost. any way, I found some oil in the pcv hose and a new oil leak from head gasket. is that mean I need to do the head gasket or maybe even more?

I had this problem a few weeks ago.

Bog standard carbied EA82..oil blowing up into the air filter and occasionaly going down the throat to create a "james Bond' smoke screen.

Much research and a visit to a Subaru dealer found me a fix.

Insert about a square inch of green scotch brite bad (scourer for washing up dishes) rolled up in each PCV hose that leads to the air box.

The air can get past easily and it allows the oil to catch and drip back to where it came.

The Subie dealer has been doing this fix since 1990, works perfectly.

well, I have disconected the hose from the pcv valve to eliminate this problem but the white smoke kept coming out...even after 8 km. and why would ther be any oil in the pcv hose in the first place. and by the way it's a weber carby I just installed

...Insert about a square inch of green scotch brite bad (scourer for washing up dishes) rolled up in each PCV hose that leads to the air box.

The air can get past easily and it allows the oil to catch and drip back to where it came.

The Subie dealer has been doing this fix since 1990, works perfectly.

Nice Idea! ... Do you Know How Much time those Scotch Brites will Last on that Condition? ... They Cannot Go Sucked inside the Engine in Anyway?

I Fix my Subies Just Changin´ the Valves´ Seals in the Heads... inmediately the Smoke and Oil Problem gone away! ... but it Means to Change the Head Gaskets too...

white smoke is most likely coolant. how much oil are we talkin in the pcv hoses? youre likely to find some old crusty build up, but i dont think you should find fresh oil dripping from the lines.

that was fresh oil driping but i'm not sure it actually got into the carby or the pvc valve. so if I disconect the pcv hoses, is that gona stop the smoke? after how long? can some one tell me if it's got anything todo with the weber swap?

how can you tell between white smoke caused by water and white smoke caused by oil?

There's no surprise that there's oil in the PCV. Remember what its for? To vent the crankcase gasses. There's a lot of oil vapor in the crankcase gasses that your engine burns. Sometimes there is so much vapor venting that it almost looks like steam (but it has a distinct aroma).

Clean out all of your PCV hoses. Next, clean out the PCV valve/replace it with OEM ONLY. If anything is clogged it forces the crankcase gasses to vent at a higher pressure, increasing chance of you having oil condensation.

White smoke isn't caused by oil. Oil smoke is usually a greyish smoke, almost blue sometimes. Sounds like to me your white smoke is really grey smoke.

Nice Idea! ... Do you Know How Much time those Scotch Brites will Last on that Condition? ... They Cannot Go Sucked inside the Engine in Anyway?

I Fix my Subies Just Changin´ the Valves´ Seals in the Heads... inmediately the Smoke and Oil Problem gone away! ... but it Means to Change the Head Gaskets too...

They are oil resistant, I use them to clean up old sump pans and dirty parts.

The service dude @ my dealer (he had been there the longest and was the only one there when EA82s were new)

Said....leave them in there.....make sure they are tightly fixed in, they cannot get past the smaller rocker cover fittings and there is not the vacuum to ever suck them in.

They are providing a medium for the vapour dropules to condense onto and drip down from.

I have them in my supercharged EJ22 as well, the boost caused a little oil blow by, it solved that too.

I would replace the PCV valve with an OEM one as suggested as well.

Cut about a square inch and roll it up, push it down the pipe just below the air cleaner, it unrolls in the pipe to fix itself in position.

i did it!!! I disconnected all the pcv hoses and drove the car few km. the car stopped smoking, then I cleaned all the hoses with CRC carby cleaner and pushed some of that scotch brite in it. reconnected it all and the car is not smoking:lol:

now, what is the black plastic box right next to the distributer which connects to the pcv system? it was full with oil. and is that the EGR under it?

thanks for all the tips guys