Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ECU radiator fan control wire.

Ok, so I know this is for a EJ22 into Brat conversion, but I thought some of you may be able to help me out on this one...

I am trying to get the ECU to run my 'new' radiator fans. But when I wire it up to the Brats wiring loom the fans go on slow and then a little while later something electronic inside the car starts to burn. I thought this may be the relay and I was wondering if the Legacy relay is a different type (maybe to support speed changalbe?)

So, what do you think is burning? Is the relay different? Where is the relay on the Liberty/Legacy's? And what should be the output of the Radiator control wire when the engine is hot?

Do you have the wiring diagram for the brat's radiator fan setup?

Stupid me.. I didn't even think to look at the circuts, I just assumed they would be similar. Well heres what I found in the diagrams.

The Brat's fan is operated through the igntion switch, through the fusebox (along with the radio,) through the fan, then the thermoswitch connects it to negative on the battery.

The Liberty/Legacy has a relay which the ECU turns on and the fan is wired to that relay. So hopefuly I haven't fried the rad fan controller on the ECU. Does anyone know what sort of current the fan control wire from the ECU is suppose to put out? And more importantly, what polarity is it (negative for positive?)

Thanks for reminding me not to be an idiot Legacy777, lol :(

Thanks, I should of guessed it was a grounding switch like most of the other things on the ECU.

I hope it was just the wire burning up... And not my ECU lol. I was thinking of running a new wire anyhow.

I really am just over complecating this.