Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First I want to say how happy I am that I was directed to this forum! Thanks to all who keep it going.

I recently posted about my 2001 Forester & leaking water. I contacted the local dealer and was quoted $1400 to replace the head gasket. My car isn't covered under the extended warranty because I have too many miles on it. I would like to find the original info on the recall but I haven't had much luck searching the web. Does anyone know where I can find a history of Recalls as well as Tech bulletins for 2001? I'm wondering what other little surprises are waiting for me with my car!

Thanks so much!

Susie

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

This takes you to the NHTSA site. Your recall was a voluntary recall and good will warranty extension.

I would call Subaru of America and plead your case. State that you had smelled the anti-freeze for some time (over a year? and 9,000 miles ;)) but since you never noticed any puddles (the leaked fluids would be evaporated on the hot engine) you didn't make much of it.

Perhaps they will extend their good will (your family has been loyal Subaru owners for many years) they will at least share the expense with you.

Be nice. You may be surprised.

Good luck.

PS If you are the original owner, or registered with SOA when you bought the car used, you should have been notified of the recall. The warranty extension only applied to those who took part in the recall and added the stop-leak to the coolant system.

If all else fails and you can't afford an immediate repair, you might want to try their "fix" and add the stop leak. Others might warn against it as potential for clogging the radiator but this is what SOA did to all of the vehicles in the recall.

First I want to say how happy I am that I was directed to this forum! Thanks to all who keep it going.

I recently posted about my 2001 Forester & leaking water. I contacted the local dealer and was quoted $1400 to replace the head gasket. My car isn't covered under the extended warranty because I have too many miles on it. I would like to find the original info on the recall but I haven't had much luck searching the web. Does anyone know where I can find a history of Recalls as well as Tech bulletins for 2001? I'm wondering what other little surprises are waiting for me with my car!

Thanks so much!

Susie

Just for the record, how many miles are on this car?

nipper

[...]I recently posted about my 2001 Forester & leaking water. I contacted the local dealer and was quoted $1400 to replace the head gasket. My car isn't covered under the extended warranty because I have too many miles on it. I would like to find the original info on the recall but I haven't had much luck searching the web.[...]
You should search for info on the "WWP-99 Service Campaign". Here are some links that I believe you'll find interesting:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=10791#post10791

http://home.comcast.net/~skipnospam/index.html

http://home.comcast.net/~skipnospam/guestlog.html

http://www.subaruproblems.com/

http://www.subaruproblems.com/owners-letter.pdf

Thanks so much!

Susie

Susie, let me know how it goes. My 2002 forester always has a hint of burning coolant smell and I'm thinking of taking it in if I can track it down. I only have 76,000 mi, but I think there is a time limit also associated with the recall, not only 100,000mi.

8 years. Talk to the dealer. They don't mind doing work if they can justify it. They are paid by SOA and it's more work for their shop.

Susie, let me know how it goes. My 2002 forester always has a hint of burning coolant smell and I'm thinking of taking it in if I can track it down. I only have 76,000 mi, but I think there is a time limit also associated with the recall, not only 100,000mi.

Just for the record, how many miles are on this car?

nipper

I now have 110K on my car. I had the recall done at around 54,000 back in 2004. I'll contact Subaru tomorrow if I can and try to plead my case to them. I'm very disappointed in them right now. Especially after reading the info on the links that OB99W posted.

Thanks to all for your help! I'll let you know how I do with Subaru. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

This takes you to the NHTSA site. Your recall was a voluntary recall and good will warranty extension.

I would call Subaru of America and plead your case. State that you had smelled the anti-freeze for some time (over a year? and 9,000 miles ;)) but since you never noticed any puddles (the leaked fluids would be evaporated on the hot engine) you didn't make much of it.

Perhaps they will extend their good will (your family has been loyal Subaru owners for many years) they will at least share the expense with you.

Be nice. You may be surprised.

Good luck.

PS If you are the original owner, or registered with SOA when you bought the car used, you should have been notified of the recall. The warranty extension only applied to those who took part in the recall and added the stop-leak to the coolant system.

If all else fails and you can't afford an immediate repair, you might want to try their "fix" and add the stop leak. Others might warn against it as potential for clogging the radiator but this is what SOA did to all of the vehicles in the recall.

I am the original owner and I took my car in for the recall so at least I'm safe there. We did add AlumaSeal (sp?) which might have taken care of the leak. However, tonight on the way home from work my car over-heated. Thinking it was low on water I pulled over to add water only to find the radiator & overflow both full. Now I don't know what to think. I have to say that I'm quickly losing faith in my car and in Subaru. I do plan to call them and don't worry, I'll be nice! I'm a believer in the old catch more flies with honey and all that...:) At this point, I would be happy if they could just pay for part of the repair. Thanks again for all your help. I never knew this board existed until this week but there is a wealth of information here!

Susie

Stop leak will only help external leaks. I've only found 1 company that claims to seal combustion chamber leaks and I'd have to see it to belive.

I saw that in an autoparts store. I read the long list of directions, and it seems like a bit touchy process. It looks like its some sort of epoxy process. My larger question is if you try this and it fails, what have you actually done to yourself. Have you glued everything together and made the entire engine scrap? Have you made more work for the machine shop?

What has it done to the radiator?

nipper

I saw that in an autoparts store. I read the long list of directions, and it seems like a bit touchy process. It looks like its some sort of epoxy process. My larger question is if you try this and it fails, what have you actually done to yourself. Have you glued everything together and made the entire engine scrap? Have you made more work for the machine shop?

What has it done to the radiator?

nipper

Yea, I'd say go to subaru and have them put their crap in and get a receipt, go home and drain and refill the system. If it's going to go, you want the gasket to leak externally so you can get it fixed under warranty. I think the stopleak they offer really only helps subaru, not the customer. If they truly wanted to help the customer, they would have just extended the warranty without requiring the stopleak.