Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket Rear View Mirror Installation 2000 OBW

I have a '00 Outback Wagon. I really want to upgrade the rear view mirror to an auto-dimming style with onboard compass and temperature display.

How difficult is this to do?

I'll have to run wires of course, but are the wires already there? Like tucked up behind the headliner? You know how a lot of manufacturers use the same harness for various models and just omit the extra options leaving the plugs to dangle there alone.

Ive done it in my 1997. If you go to http://www.scoobymods.com/ They have a step by step method in one of thier posts. The toghest part of the entire install for me was running the wires around the dash up to the A pillar. Its a really tight space. You need a powerful flashlight and some flexability to pass the wires. The second toughest is getting them through the firewall.

nipper

Ive done it in my 1997. If you go to http://www.scoobymods.com/ They have a step by step method in one of thier posts. The toghest part of the entire install for me was running the wires around the dash up to the A pillar. Its a really tight space. You need a powerful flashlight and some flexability to pass the wires. The second toughest is getting them through the firewall.

nipper

Can't you just cockaroach the power from the dome light, like you do for a map light? Or is there other wiring related to the light sensor and/or compass? The Pretty One wants one for the new Outback as well.

nipper

Thanks for the tip. Is this the post you're referring too?

FYI for you others- you'll have to register to view the images :rolleyes:

You have the power feed, the memory, the temp sensor and the UV sensor. There are also the fuses for the two power feeds. There is also the ground.

nipper

Pfui on all that, she's already got an in-dash display, and doesn't really care about auto-dim. All she really wants is a compass ... I'll buy her an Air-Guide. I would like to install an in-dash GPS in the dash slot, but given the cost ... fuggidaboudit!

That looks like a factory Unit. i used a aftermarket unit from ebay.

http://www.cipausa.com/Autodim%20Files/36400,%2036401,%2036500,%2036501%20Instructions.pdf

I see they re wrote the instructions to make it a biit easier.

I had to glue the button om my windsheild. It took me two tries to get it right. The first time i did not do prep well and it fell off.

Another hint is that life gets much easier if you put the terminals out of their little plastic connectors (i used a tiny screwdriver).

Mine came with the UV sensor, which i sort of find useless.

nipper

Another question:

I found a couple mirrors on ebay. They're OE mirrors and one says it fits a 98-02 Forester the other says it fits a 03-06 Forester.

Will either of these fit a 2000 Outback?

They look the same with respect to each other- I've never seen an Outback one up close to tell if there's a difference.

EDIT: I too could care less for the UV sensor. I just want compass and temp. I've also heard, however, that the OE's auto-dimming tint/technology is less than desirable. Any opinions?

Pfui on all that, she's already got an in-dash display, and doesn't really care about auto-dim. All she really wants is a compass ... I'll buy her an Air-Guide. I would like to install an in-dash GPS in the dash slot, but given the cost ... fuggidaboudit!

Compass needs a power and a memory.

nipper