Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Outback-Jarring downshifting---TCU replacement?

Howdy folks,

i was recently on the UNofficial Subaru Outback Webpage, where in the FAQs section they talk about the automatic transmission 1999 Subaru Outbacks downshifting aggressively after the introduction of the Transmission Control Unit (TCU) and that partway through that year Subaru changed this part and that 1999 models with this aggressive downshifting problem can have their TCU replaced for free? Is this for real? Here is the qoute:

Subaru added a 'grade control logic' program to the auto transmissions for '99 and newer models to help slow the car during long descents. In '99 the program was quite aggressive and would downshift inappropriately and race the engine. Halfway through the model year, Subaru replaced the TCU (transmission control unit) with one employing a less-aggressive profile and this helped reduce complaints. I have been told that any '99 car can be refitted with the new program free-of-charge.

I live in Colorado, where I drive in the mountains quite a bit, and have found that while in D unless I am just so feather-light on the brakes on the descent after coming over a pass, the transmission will downshift suddenly with the rpms jumping from around 2500 to 3500 to 4000, it will not shift back up, but rather the rpms continue to go up as I continue to descend regardless of whether I use the brakes to slow the car down. I often have to shift into neutral and then back into OVERDRIVE.

this sudden downshift does not seem out of place if I suddenly slam on the brakes because of something on the road, but seems too severe for someone travelling 85 mph who wants to slow down slightly because of someone moving slow in the passing lane.

My wife often asks if the "car is alright" when it downshifts, it's that noticable.

Does anyone know if this is for real and where I can get it replaced?

I worry that this sudden downshifting and then subsequent shift into neutral then back into OVERDRIVE at 75-85 mph will wear out my tranny prematurely.

Thanks, Steven

Hi your issue you are having in regards to the transmission downshifting happened to me, I had a 99 outback with 42k on it and it did it to and I hated it felt like I was being jerked. Well it was something I had to deal with myself. I really didnt do anything about it the dealer said it was normal for that year.

i was recently on the UNofficial Subaru Outback Webpage, where in the FAQs section they talk about the automatic transmission 1999 Subaru Outbacks downshifting aggressively after the introduction of the Transmission Control Unit (TCU) and that partway through that year Subaru changed this part and that 1999 models with this aggressive downshifting problem can have their TCU replaced for free? Is this for real? Here is the qoute:

Subaru added a 'grade control logic' program to the auto transmissions for '99 and newer models to help slow the car during long descents. In '99 the program was quite aggressive and would downshift inappropriately and race the engine. Halfway through the model year, Subaru replaced the TCU (transmission control unit) with one employing a less-aggressive profile and this helped reduce complaints. I have been told that any '99 car can be refitted with the new program free-of-charge.

I live in Colorado, where I drive in the mountains quite a bit, and have found that while in D unless I am just so feather-light on the brakes on the descent after coming over a pass, the transmission will downshift suddenly with the rpms jumping from around 2500 to 3500 to 4000, it will not shift back up, but rather the rpms continue to go up as I continue to descend regardless of whether I use the brakes to slow the car down. I often have to shift into neutral and then back into OVERDRIVE.

this sudden downshift does not seem out of place if I suddenly slam on the brakes because of something on the road, but seems too severe for someone travelling 85 mph who wants to slow down slightly because of someone moving slow in the passing lane.

My wife often asks if the "car is alright" when it downshifts, it's that noticable.

Does anyone know if this is for real and where I can get it replaced?

I worry that this sudden downshifting and then subsequent shift into neutral then back into OVERDRIVE at 75-85 mph will wear out my tranny prematurely.

Thanks, Steven