Ultimate Subaru Message Board

figuring out what to do

Centrifugal

'93 Loyale, motor's got one foot in hell, I'd rather put an EJ in than deal with the old EA. From what I've read: more reliable, better mileage, sounds cooler, wayyy more fun. The latter of course being my typical teenage priority.

So, what's the cheapest and easiest EJ I can shove in the Loyale? Also, does the donor car have to be a manual (which mine is) or does it matter?

Very very low budget, minor amounts of mechanical experience but I do have this site (i.e. Numbchux's magnificent writeup) and plenty of good friends who know what they're doing.

Also, I'm only moderately sure this is in the right forum sector thingy.

absolute cheapest would be a ej18 since you can pick em up for free a lot of times but you might be better off to get a legacy parts car since you will need a lot of wiring and engine related things. you can find em for around $400 all the time. all the ej motors are the same regardless of trans.

best bang for the buck, and best way to save yourself some serious headaches, is to get your hands on a '90-'94 legacy (ej22e). having the whole donor car at your disposal will make things substantially easier. also, that way you can be sure the motor runs before swapping (it's nice to know you're starting with a functional combination).

these can usually be had for a few hundred bucks, depending on your location. I see rusted out ones here for $500 or less all the time. perfect donor cars.

the transmission makes no difference, as long as you plan to use your loyale trans. my donor car was a FWD auto.

best bang for the buck, and best way to save yourself some serious headaches, is to get your hands on a '90-'94 legacy (ej22e).

That was kind of my tentative plan...

the transmission makes no difference, as long as you plan to use your loyale trans. my donor car was a FWD auto.

...and that was what I needed to know for sure. Much thanks.

Seems your on a tight budget, don't forget to think about the cost of the adapter plate and flywheel re-drill/grind. This is the other big extra cost. Also the fuel system needs some thi... hang on, you have SPFI right? good, no problems there.

The rest is just small things.

Seems your on a tight budget, don't forget to think about the cost of the adapter plate and flywheel re-drill/grind. This is the other big extra cost. Also the fuel system needs some thi... hang on, you have SPFI right? good, no problems there.

The rest is just small things.

The budget is probably a little looser than I implied, but we're talking high school student working one part-time job. On the plus side I spend money on nothing, ever. And I'm well acquainted with craigslist.

What's the price range for the adapter plate and flywheel redo? Possibly someone on USMB who can help me out?

My ej swap cost somewhere around $600-1000.I just got stuff from pull and save.150 For EJ22+ECU,20 for wiring harness+200 to have it stripped down.20 bucks for the adapter plate(I made it myself).50 for a pusher style fan on the front of the radiator.60 fixing the filler neck on the radiator cause mine broke.Outlet hose on radiator broke the spout so I picked up a EA81 radiator for 50.I also got new temp,oil,and volt gauges for 40 bucks.Then various stuff relating to the fact that mine was a carb car-25 for new FI fuel supply lines,100 for new ford pump.From my list,assuming I didn't spend money screwing with the stock radiator is 655+100 +/- for little things like soldering pen,solder,various fittings,fluids. thats for converting a carb,533 for FI+100+/-

The budget is probably a little looser than I implied, but we're talking high school student working one part-time job. On the plus side I spend money on nothing, ever. And I'm well acquainted with craigslist.

What's the price range for the adapter plate and flywheel redo? Possibly someone on USMB who can help me out?

$165+shipping for an adapter plate (check the vendor section. or http://www.mroseusa.com )

$35 for a cheap dremel + a couple hours of careful work for the fllywheel.