Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PCV valve replacement

EA82 Loyale, 1992

I am reading Haynes and Chilton and they both have useless diagrams but no actual photos. I cannot find the PCV valve.

My oil consumption is way up so I wonder if replacing it will help. To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been looked at in the last 110K miles.

Yep, on the back side of the throttle body, just in front of the pitch stopper. Just follow the hoses, they lead right to it....

It's really hard to get a wrench in there for leverage, especially if the PCV is cooked in tight. I ended up buying a special "zero-clearance" adapter for a 3/8" socket. Just an excuse to add to the toolbox :D

-- Mark

I found it. The hose will not come off. It looks like the only way is to remove it with an open-end wrench and the remove it from the hose.

The oil consumption is high on this Loyale, at 1qt/700 miles or so so I wonder if the PCV valve is responsible. I should check it anyway since it hasn't been done in a long time.

IF the hose wont come off just break it off. I broke mine back at 216K and it was full of crap and was hard as a rock. The $5-7 for a new genuine subaru one is worth the money. Make sure you get a genuine subaru PCV valve too, the FRAM ones suck.

Oh ya, it may be a pain to get the valve out too, you may have to break out a cheater pipe or something. Just be careful not to hurt the intake. Penetrating lubricant is your friend here WD40, or whatever.....

Mike is totally and completely right about using OEM PCV valves. I had a Purolator one on my Legacy for about 10k miles, and when my oil level kept creeping down without any noticeable leaks, I decided to put a new OEM valve on. The hose that you describe, viceversa, was covered in a thick oil residue, suggesting that the valve was allowing too much engine vaccuum into the PCV system. I sprayed all the hoses out with brake cleaner and installed the new valve, and I am hard pressed to find hardly ANY oil residue on the hoses anymore...

• 1 month later...

I replaced it. I got a genuine OEM one from europarts4auction on ebay, in case anyone needs something.

Indeed, it needed 19mm wrench to get it out. Once I got it going, it was a 1-minute swap.

The old one did not seem bad at all. It was shaking and loose inside which indicates it was still working. But with 190,000 miles on the car, I had no way of knowing.

Now the bad news is, I cracked the PCV hose. It did get hard as a rock, don't know if by design or after 12 years of engine heat. In any case, it is gone. I tried to cut one end off and reuse it, but no luck.

Had to go to Advanced Auto parts and got this 5/8" hose, which was curved wrong and barely fit without bending. Not entirely sure it will work but I got it in there. It did however require a hose clamp on the PCV valve end. It did cost $15 for such a small piece. I might have an OEM one laying around somewhere.

Originally posted by Partsman

What kind of hose did you get at Advanced? A preformed heater hose? If so, it will get eaten up by the petroleum fumes very soon and melt. Go to Subaru or the junkyard and get the right one SOON!

I'm glad you mentioned this...what kind of hose will work for this? I'm planning on replacing my rock-hard PCV hoses with silicone hose (same as I'm using for the vacuum lines, just larger diameter). Would that work or would there be problems with silicone hose on PCV lines?

Originally posted by Partsman

Anybody know Warp3's answer? I'm pretty sure that silicone hose will work, but it's mondo expensive

It wasn't too bad...$29.95 for the RS Akimoto variety pack containing 10 ft. of 3 mm hose, 5 ft. of 6 mm hose, and 2 ft. of 10 mm hose from Summit Racing. The smaller hose will work great for the vacuum lines but the 10mm hose looks like it would be just about the right diameter for the PCV lines. I know silicone hose is already more than is needed for vacuum lines but I want to make sure it can handle the differing requirements of PCV/blowby lines as well.

EDIT: Ok I just searched the web a bit and was surprised how little info I found on this. I found a couple sites recommending replacing the PCV hose with silicone hose. I found one site that said do NOT use silicone hose for PCV lines because it will discolor the hose. :rolleyes: I don't care if it "discolors" the hose, I just want to know if it can survive in those conditions regardless of the resulting color...LOL...unfortunately, no one that Google found seems to know the answer to this. :(

• 2 years later...