Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As most of you know out there...i am not much of a Mech.......

the H2(93 leg) is having steering probs bigtime.....with 250k on the wagon

iam not surprised....i got a price quote from Greg's for $575.to install a new one....i am not a sucker by no means but common....that's a little bit steep......:rolleyes:

also my reverse is really acting up and draggin ...i can smell the Diff fluid ...my fluids are full all around..could this be the U-Joint ? iam not sure...i hope so..because i can't afford a rebuilt tranny......i need somebody to give the H2 the once over ....and tell me if iam right or wrong on the probs.....:-\

so here's your chance to con me out of a 6pac gang....:headbang: ....iam over in west seattle but will travel within reason for somebody to ck it out

i have the wk of the 9th off...........

send me a pm or email me......

thanks

Spark

WOHH ..................

Take a breath and in english...

Forget what anyone has told you, tell us what the problems are. What kind of tranny do you have?

Just what is that money going to repair?

nipper

ok it's the 2.2 auto.........i notice when i back up it straines to go .....it's hard to explain.... but only in reverse....on the freeway its fine and at slow speeds also but backing up its doggin ....

also when i put in park from reverse the dam thing clunks big time....this i way iam wondering about the universal joint......

the steering is shot....turning left or right its shuttering and acting like heck...this has all happened now in the last 2 months........the fluid level in the PS is fine...but iam wondering about the hydraulic lines besides the pump.......

i haven't got to the point yet to take it to a shop due to lack of funds

so i need someone that could give me a honest evaluation of the prob before i get took by a shop...lol

spark

OK first off you dont have a steering problem.

Lets start with that 2nd ugly word in the subaru language:

Torque bind.

Look it up, but thats what you have.

Lets rule out some things. First check all your tires and make sure they all match and are properly inflated. Secondly your going to check the tranny fluid and tell me what it looks like. Then you are going to flush your transmission fluid. You are going to drain and refill the trany three times, each time starting the car and running it through all the gears (preferably taking it arounbd the block). Then drain and repeat.

If that doesnt have any effect read on ...

The dragging and clunking your feeling is the 4wd being locked up. With the mileage on the car it sounds like that your unit may have just wore out. Nothing lasts forever. You have had a good run.

Now to make the car driveable you are going to open the hood, and by the wiper motor you will find a fuse holder that should say FWD (cover may be gone). This will deactivate the AWD and you will have a fwd car. this will work for a month or a year. This will make the car driveable and allow you to think of what to do next.

You will eventually have to take it to a dealer and have them look at it/ fix it. DO NOT go to a tranny shop. This is about a 800-1000 dollar repair.

nipper

Torque bind.

Lets rule out some things. First check all your tires and make sure they all match and are properly inflated. Secondly your going to check the tranny fluid and tell me what it looks like. Then you are going to flush your transmission fluid. You are going to drain and refill the trany three times, each time starting the car and running it through all the gears (preferably taking it arounbd the block). Then drain and repeat.

The dragging and clunking your feeling is the 4wd being locked up. With the mileage on the car it sounds like that your unit may have just wore out. Nothing lasts forever. You have had a good run.

Now to make the car driveable you are going to open the hood, and by the wiper motor you will find a fuse holder that should say FWD (cover may be gone). This will deactivate the AWD and you will have a fwd car. this will work for a month or a year. This will make the car driveable and allow you to think of what to do next.

You will eventually have to take it to a dealer and have them look at it/ fix it. DO NOT go to a tranny shop. This is about a 800-1000 dollar repair.

nipper

the tranny fluid is not to dark but Red not pink.....

thanks for the info i'll pop the fuse this wkend and let you know...

i was planning on having the steering fluid flushed this wkend also.....

but what about the front Diff? ive smelled the Diff fluid a few times..i ck it again today its not clear but not burned either and could use a change

spark

Torque bind.

nipper

Nipper...took the H2 in today.....to my service guy who i should say i have going to since the orig Hornet days.....the outfit is

"QuikStop" in seatac,wa...great guys....

anyway they flushed both the read diff and transmition..then they refilled both with ATF and "FRICTION MOD"....boy what a difference now...she turns without studder.....they did the parking lot 360 circle left/right then in reverse... working great now...the whole job cost me $79...worth every penny....thanks for the advise Nipper

Sparky

" PS i recommemed "QUICKSTOP" to those who have this prob...."