Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 90 subaru legacy LS and I was wondering where the "canister purge solenoid" is located and what it looks like--- it comes up as one of my touble codes-- currently I have a car I can rob parts off of and would like to swap it out while I have the chance! One of my other codes is #12 starter switch, I figured that this was more than likely was refering to the starter solenoid so I swapped the starter with one from the other car and then tried to clear the codes and it was still there... What else could cause it to throw this code? Like I said before I would really like to fix this while I still have a parts car!!!

The purge solenoid is under the intake runners on the passenger side

mounted to the intake. Its easy to see if you stand on your head.

It has a two wire connector the connector is blue if I remember

right. Finding a good used solenoid isn't easy as they are a common

item to fail. Cut the solenoids wires at the solenoid and replace it with

a 100 ohm 1 watt resistor. It will fool the computer and allow the

CEL light to be reset. Plug the two hoses that connect to the solenoid.

I didn't see and problems when I did this to my 90. I did finally

find a good used one.

Richard

Thanks for the info for the purge valve... the neutral saftey switch, if it is funtioning correctly, should not allow you to start the car with the shifter in any other position that neutral- right? My car is a 5sp manual, I thought they only put neutral saftey switches on autos? Maybe I'm wrong... I do know the car will not start without the clutch in though!

Once you find the solenoid I suggest you check the circuit first, using a voltmeter, before doing anything to the solenoid. There should be 12 volts to the solenoid when it is supposed to be working. You can check the coil winding resistance also with a ohmmeter to see if it is ok. If the coil is open, the solenoid is bad.

For the code 12 problem I think the switch being refered to is the ignition switch, not the starter solenoid.

I was thinking about the ignition switch... since there is not a whole lot of different componets in the starting system! I wiil check there next... as far as the purge soleniod goes-- now that I know where it is and I have a parts car I think I will just swap it out and see how it goes! BY the way, how hard is it to change the ignition switch?

You trun the key the car starts, as far ar your concenred its fine. Now the computer on the other hand sees in great detail that there is noise on the line, indicating something it does not like. The NSS i thought was in line with the ignition switch.

Try unplugging then plugging the connectors in first (ignition and NSS switch). Sometimes some corrosion on the terminals can give a code, and just that activity may clean the contacts.

nipper

Code 12(switch on) is sometimes set simply because the key was held in the start position for a moment after the first ignition pulse. Sometimes code 11(switch off) will show in d-check mode before you start the car. I wouldn't worry too much about either code.