Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Andy do you have a manual, if so how much more get-up-and-go is there than your 97?

:grin:

alot :grin:

i love the 5spd, sort of wish it had a 6... but i can deal with th 5... never tried the 5eat though, but i have driven an 07 legacy sedan w/ the sport shifter... not nearly as fun ;)

As for the actual clutch... there's not alot of room, it's pretty sporty and more of an on/off if you're used to driving any other car :-p

how much more get-up-and-go..... well.. let's just say that i have NEVER put my foot all the way to the floor before in the OBXT, because i was scared for my life... way to fast... whereas in the 97 obs... the EJ22 had some nut.. but.. the pedel went to the floor alot, and stayed there....

i believe one of the ways to describe it was "once you hit 3000 RPM's... it's like taking off an aircraft carrier" ;)

It's a whole new beast... quite a bit heavier, but alot more nut to make up for it. The suspension is also a little soft.. more of a lazyboy ride, and alot of bodyroll than the OBS... but you can fix that with some coilovers...

As per power, it's already rediculous... but... if you want a little more nut, you can get an accessport relitivly cheap, and run stage 1, with no hardware modifications needed... and run up to 285hp, 305ft-lbs with the 91oct fuel map, and 290hp, 205ft-lbs w/ the 93oct fuel map.. they also bring the peak torque back to ~ 3000rpm, opposed to the 3500-4000 stock.

but yeah, a TON more power and a metric crapload more torque :clap:

if you can, take one for a test drive, get on a highway on ramp, and just stomp on it.... it'll scare you :grin:

:grin:

alot :grin:

i love the 5spd, sort of wish it had a 6... but i can deal with th 5... never tried the 5eat though, but i have driven an 07 legacy sedan w/ the sport shifter... not nearly as fun ;)

As for the actual clutch... there's not alot of room, it's pretty sporty and more of an on/off if you're used to driving any other car :-p

how much more get-up-and-go..... well.. let's just say that i have NEVER put my foot all the way to the floor before in the OBXT, because i was scared for my life... way to fast... whereas in the 97 obs... the EJ22 had some nut.. but.. the pedel went to the floor alot, and stayed there....

i believe one of the ways to describe it was "once you hit 3000 RPM's... it's like taking off an aircraft carrier" ;)

It's a whole new beast... quite a bit heavier, but alot more nut to make up for it. The suspension is also a little soft.. more of a lazyboy ride, and alot of bodyroll than the OBS... but you can fix that with some coilovers...

As per power, it's already rediculous... but... if you want a little more nut, you can get an accessport relitivly cheap, and run stage 1, with no hardware modifications needed... and run up to 285hp, 305ft-lbs with the 91oct fuel map, and 290hp, 205ft-lbs w/ the 93oct fuel map.. they also bring the peak torque back to ~ 3000rpm, opposed to the 3500-4000 stock.

but yeah, a TON more power and a metric crapload more torque :clap:

if you can, take one for a test drive, get on a highway on ramp, and just stomp on it.... it'll scare you :grin:

They are fast, a whole lot faster than any other legacy. I've had the fortune to drive an 05 LGT 5MT, with some bolt ons. That thing is absolutely the fastest family car I've been in, Period.

Hmmm, I have been tossing around the idea of looking for one in the near future but figured the power had to be worth having a car payment again.

My brother in law had an STI that he did a bunch of work to, that car was amazing...it launched like my 67 Shelby but with no wheelspin and that convinced me that I wanted a Turbo Outback one day.

Hmmm, I have been tossing around the idea of looking for one in the near future but figured the power had to be worth having a car payment again.

My brother in law had an STI that he did a bunch of work to, that car was amazing...it launched like my 67 Shelby but with no wheelspin and that convinced me that I wanted a Turbo Outback one day.

For the STi's A buddy had a bone stock one a while back. I ran it on a semi local dragstrip. 13.6 at 97mph on a very hard launch, with no wheelspin

one thing to remember on the $$ issues... they do require a MINIMUM of 91 octane.... it's not that much more... but it still hurts when you fill up :-\

Hmmm. Here in Colorado we have 85, 87, and 91 octane. So I'd have to use highgrade....

I don't think I'd want to own one of those (I'd drive too fast and get tickets and my insurance would go through the roof -- way more cost issue than the gas price), but it'd sure be fun to drive. Compared to my EA82 wagon, that spends probably 80% of the time floored, and I finally hit 90mph going downhill last week. :dead: Fastest I've ever had it. Even my 12,000lb box truck only has a 160 HP engine (Although it does have something like 380 ft lbs at 1500rpm).

I've got a neighbor who really likes the power of his old Honda Accord, and he test drove an outback (a '99 I think) and complained that it was quite sluggish. Maybe I'll recommend the turbo version :grin:

Hmmm. Here in Colorado we have 85, 87, and 91 octane. So I'd have to use highgrade....

I've actually found that high grade gas isn't that much worse $$ wise...

we figured it out when we drove out to IL a few weekends ago... 1800 miles... was only $18.00 more using high octane vs 87