Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Performance mods

Dude, your car weighs like, 2200 poiunds... you dont NEED 300 horse!!!

the EJ swap is cheap and easy. 150 horse in 2200 pound vehicle is PLENTY

2200 lbs? I weighed my car last year before the lift and it weighed in at 3400 lbs

The real issue isn't how much or how far one should take an EA82. He'll take it as far as he wants. If he doesn't want an EJ swap oh well. If he does how much work in comparison would it be to do an EJ swap as opposed to upgrading the EA? I've been thinking about a swap myself (As I knew ahead of time that the EA82 was a dead end road for performance).

I would say it would cost as much and be as much work to rebuild a EA with higher comp pistons, delta cams, good down draft weber, much better exhaust, figure out AWD, blah blah blah, then it would to put a EJ in the car...

I'm not saying the EA is a loss, infact I'm going to be building a "high performance" EA81 soonish. I'm just saying that it's cheaper, and almost easier to put a EJ in then get good power from an EA.

BUT...

If he wants an EA, how about we just shut up about EJ's and tell him whats possible. Obviously he knows by now the EJ will give more power and it's pretty cheap. But he still seems like he wants and EA, so lets just give EA ideas...

At the moment, with my EA build I'm trying to figure out how to get more compression then 9.5 to 1. Looks like the pistons need to be domed and maybe have valve cut outs. Although really, is it likely that a EA81 is going to fail in a way that will damage the valves?? I don't think so..

The other option there is to get a custom crank to give more through and then shorter pistons so they don't go up as far. This keeps the same amount of area at full stroke as the old setup only it will have more air and fuel in their because the camber is bigger when the piston is at the bottom of it's stroke.

My next step is twin webers. I've been customing a manifold to work as indipendent manifolds for each carb. I'll have to work on that more before I bother saying anymore as I might just scrap it and go fully custom.

Then theres the flywheel.. This just depends how you like your power. For my project I'm going to be using this engine in a very light car, so a light flywheel is going to be my pick. Probably as light as I can get it safly. We'll see..

Of cause then theres the extractors, tuned y-pipe, I really don't know much about that yet, so I'll have to do my research on that one later on.

Oh, a good port and polish will be in order too for my project. The Dual carb engine I have already has the "sporty cam" and it has better (same as an EA82) flow in the heads. So I don't think I'll worry about a cam grind.

Basicly with my project I would like 140hp with the ability to rev upto 10K RPM. Which I know is possible in these engine because some of the plane guys use that kinda RPM to take off...

Anyway, that's just some of my rambling on.

This discussion board is such a funny place. We all know we are polishing huge turds, trying to keep dying 20 year old rust heaps crawling down the road while at the same time dreaming of racing them and making huge rock crawlwers, and here's the thing: we're EXCITED about all this :lol: It's a strange, strange world.

2200 lbs? I weighed my car last year before the lift and it weighed in at 3400 lbs

weight_c.jpg

Thats out of the 1989 partial FSM that floats around... for the sedan. The wagon averages about 100 pounds lighter across the board? i don't know why.

By the way, "gross vehicle weight" is the maximum ALLOWABLE weight of the vehicle, passengers, fule, and cargo.. "curb weight" is the vehicle only, with options installed as noted on the chart.

My 87 GL 10 sedan, power everything, has a GVWR of 3430 pounds, and a maximum total cargo weight of 810 pounds. 3430 - 810 == 2620. I was responding with the OP's 79 brat in mind, since thats what he has listed under vehicles...I dont know why I failed to think about it being an 87 lifted wagon, ike he said at the beginning of his first post.. but still, 3400 seems VERY steep, did you weld sixteen new frame rails into that thing??? I mean, thats GVWR!!!! technically, that means you cant put anything in your wagon!