Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback struts to fit 1994 Legacy L Wagon?

Just put used '97 or '98 OB struts in my '90 Leg Wagon. The top hats on the REAR OB struts didn't line up.....so ghetto as it may be I just drilled new holes, rather than swap hats - no issues so far. I don't know if the '94s are different, but easy enough to measure 'em.

Make sure you mark the front strut bolts for alignment. The top bolt is oval to adjust caster or camber (can't remember). I took mine in for an alignment afterwards and the toe was off by .4 degrees or something - barely worth the trouble - and that's it. So if you know it's aligned beforehand and watch strut bolts you probably won't need to realign it. The rear wheels were fine, too - was a 4-wheel thrust alignment.

I put 205/75R14s on the OEM wheels, which are almost the same size as my 15" studded snows (leftover from another Sube). They both fit fine, but may rub slightly @ full lock....I don't offroad it, so don't know if they'd rub more @ full tilt.

Good Luck!

Thanks wtdash! I'll have to look into it. The main reason I ask is I see a sets of new KYB GR-2 struts on sale for the '92-'94 Legacys for $200 which seems like a good price. But if I can fit Outback or other higher struts I'd like to do that.

The KYB catalog shows the same part no for pretty much all front strut mounts, but different nos in may cases for the rear strut mounts.

• 3 years later...

Well it's been 3-1/2 years and I'm finally getting around to trying this project. I picked up new GR-2's for a '96 Outback. I new genuine springs from a '96 Legacy wagon that I am using. And reusing all the other bits, except new KYB bumpers and bellows for the front. So I will know soon whether or not this works!

Well it's been 3-1/2 years and I'm finally getting around to trying this project. I picked up new GR-2's for a '96 Outback. I new genuine springs from a '96 Legacy wagon that I am using. And reusing all the other bits, except new KYB bumpers and bellows for the front. So I will know soon whether or not this works!

how are you going to mark your top strut bolt to avoid a new alignment? with the old strut gone you'll lose your mark.

or just have it aligned again?

I will just do the camber on a level surface with a level, machinist's ruler, and the arc tangent method. Though generally I just aim for zero camber since that's easier, when the level reads level she's zerod (or crose enough anywya). I've done this on the other soobs and it works pretty well and doesn't relaly take any longer than waiting at an alignment shop. Even if I marked the position it would be different on the new strut anyway since it will be sitting higher.

I have some left over fastcam bolts in 14mm too in case I need them, probably will need them for the rear. Might need one in the front if the factory bolt doesn't give enough adjustment.

• 3 months later...
So how did it all turn out? I'm about to install 2000 Forester struts in a 93 Legacy SW so any feedback would be valuable.

Forester struts (EDIT: Take offs>>Top hats + Spring + Strut) are different than Outback....

Check out my POST w/essentially this same setup (FXT struts fit the same as non-turbo Forester struts). The '93 should have the same top hat bolt pattern and bolt up in the rears w/out issue.

There will be a noticeable sag in the rear, so be prepared. You can use 'saggy butt spacers' from Paranoid Fabrications if you want to level it out.

TD

Edited by wtdash

Forester struts are different than Outback....

Check out my POST w/essentially this same setup (FXT struts fit the same as non-turbo Forester struts). The '93 should have the same top hat bolt pattern and bolt up in the rears w/out issue.

There will be a noticeable sag in the rear, so be prepared. You can use 'saggy butt spacers' from Paranoid Fabrications if you want to level it out.

TD

According to Monroe the 96-98 OB and 98-02 Forester front struts are the same. They are 1.125" longer than 92-94 Legacy struts. The rear struts differ in that the Foresters are 2" longer than 92-94 Legacy while OB are 2.375" longer. I wonder if the spring perch differences between 90-91 and 92-94 Legacys might account for your lower rear height?

The Forester rear mounts are very different from the 92-94 Legacy mounts but the photos I've seen are not to the same scale so I can't tell about the bolt pattern and spacing. Interestingly I was not able to find rear mounts for the 90-91 from Monroe or KYB or even Rock Auto. That seems to indicate that they are very unique. If the rear Forester struts do bolt up, that would be sweet!

I already read your thread and found it very helpful. It was what persuaded me to look into Forester struts after hearing that the rear OB struts were a little long for the 92-94. It was a sticky at Legacy Central that led me to use 98-02 struts. The Monroe strut dimension chart was also very helpful.

Thank you very much for your input. I'll post my results ASAP but with the cold weather and holidays it might be a while.