Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 engine questions

Hello, I have not been on this board for quite a while. I had a 1989 Subaru RX that the motor was ruined in and I took the EA81 engine out of an old 82 wagon that I had and rebuilt it and put it in the RX and it has done fine until now. Last week while my dad was driving it, it started hammering and lost power and he had to get towed home. I'm pretty sure it is a connecting rod and expect the crankshaft is a gonner. I pulled the egine today and started tearing it down. I have two questions. 1 what would cause this, I suspect the oil pump died or something. Even when I started it with it knocking, it had oil pressure until it got hot. 2 is it possible to split the crankcase without removing the heads. the heads and pistons are fine, I just need to remove the crank and rods.

I don't think you can pull it apart that way. IIRC there are bolts holding the halves together in the coolant pathways, or that may just be ej's
Are there bolts in the coolant passages? I am almost to that point. I hate to pull those heads if I don't have to. I must get it apart and confirm what I think. I need a decent crank for it I'm sure, I have some ea82 parts to swap if someone is interested, turbo heads and the turbo. I hate going to the junkyard.

It would be possible except for 1 bolt that goes thru the very center of the block thru the area where the pushrods go through. if you were able to get past that, then you could split the halves. Then the next question is, how are you supposed to put it back together? crank w/ rods go in crankcase, and pistons are pushed in after it is assembled. They give you access holes to align everything and slide in the wrist pins.

Sorry for the bad news

-Mike

It would be possible except for 1 bolt that goes thru the very center of the block thru the area where the pushrods go through. if you were able to get past that, then you could split the halves. Then the next question is, how are you supposed to put it back together? crank w/ rods go in crankcase, and pistons are pushed in after it is assembled. They give you access holes to align everything and slide in the wrist pins.

Sorry for the bad news

-Mike

You are correct, I had to pull the heads,or at least the left one to get at the bolt that was the last holdout. It was as I had feared, the oil pump had been failing for a while and all the bearings looked rough, but the bearing for the rear rod had spun and the rod is a gonner. I don't know weather the crank could be turned down and saved or not. I checked with my calipers and that journal is within .007 of the other rod journals. Does anyone know of anyone who sells subaru crank kits?

I don't know weather the crank could be turned down and saved or not.
More than likely, you can get bearings down to at least -1.0mm (if you look hard enough) which gives you plenty of room to play with.

Sorry for the bad news

-Mike

Mike, I sent you another PM. Thanks, Kim Webb.

I am going for another crank. Finding someone who knows what they are doing with soobie cranks around here seems to be hard to find.
Yeah need a narrower than usual tool i think.... I only know of one outfit that has the gear in my city.