Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Old IPF Fog questions

I just picked up a set of round IPF Fog lights the other day. Cheap. They are 5 1/2" round. Chrome housings. Only one wire out of each bucket. The lens is yellow glass thaT oddly is slightly beveld at the top.:-\

The lens has markings that says HALOGEN (VERTICALLY) POWER (AT THE BOTTOM) AND IPF 90.

tHE OLD DUFFER WHO SOLD EM TO ME SAID HE USED TO HAVE EM ON HIS 1970 VW BUG. aNY BODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE THINGS?lIKE HOW OLD THEY ARE AND i ASSUME THE BRACKET BECOMES THE GROUND. I TOOK ONE APART AND I BELIEVE THE BULB IS A 55W. SHOULD I RUN A HEAVY DUTY HARNESS FOR THESE?

i SUPOOSE i CAN POST A PIC. BUT SOMEONE TELL ME THE SIZE LIMIT ON PICS. i HAVE PRETTY GOOD DIGITAL AND USUALLY HAVE TO REDUCE THE QUALITY TO GET PICS TO TAKE.

Power=Curent*Volts

55=curent*12

cureent=4.5833 Amps

This is for one bulb so you need a 10amp fuse and holder to power them both. I would use a relay also.

Like what do you need to know? I could help you out with some switching diagrams if you want.

Yeh the leg should ground them, so ideal if you have a bull bar but the metal inside the plastic bumper is also eathed.

you can click here to read my recent post on relay wiring, and sourcing bosch relays and plugs from the junkyard on the cheap. It really is best to relay a circuit like this, and its simple to do.. it IS a somewhat long post, but you can skip the parts about wiring for a starter.

good luck, and post some pics for us!

Thnks for the replies. I figured I would get a response from our brothers down unda on this one. thanks BobB. Yup wiring digram would be good. Luck would have it I DO have a Gen 2 Bull that I just picked up. I'll have to drill it though. Hey BobB, is there still a lens protector out there that works on these? Remember the lens is angled at the top. :banana:

you can click here to read my recent post on relay wiring, and sourcing bosch relays and plugs from the junkyard on the cheap. It really is best to relay a circuit like this, and its simple to do.. it IS a somewhat long post, but you can skip the parts about wiring for a starter.

good luck, and post some pics for us!

Oooooo. Awesome post big D!! I am on hands and knees doing the obligatory bowing in worship. Pics coming soon.

Oooooo. Awesome post big D!! I am on hands and knees doing the obligatory bowing in worship. Pics coming soon.

*not-so-modest-grin* thanks, man. I was posting about 1/4-1/3 of all that over and over again in different situations, so I figured I might as well just write it all up so in the future, I just have to link to THAT instead of telling you in your thread :grin:

Those are BEAUTIFUL fog lights.... if you EVER want to get rid of them, my uncle has a few datsun roadsters that would LOVE a set of those on the bumper... he has one pair similar, but i *think* one lens may be cracked, :dead:

Make sure you post pics once you get 'em all mounted and purdy lookin'