Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just got a 91 legacy wagon 5sp and I need to know more about it. I have a 87 GL that shat out on me so all im familiar with is the late 80's carb and not the new FI engine. Any info about that engine year or sites that I can get more info and specs would be awesome

I just got a 91 legacy wagon 5sp and I need to know more about it. I have a 87 GL that shat out on me so all im familiar with is the late 80's carb and not the new FI engine. Any info about that engine year or sites that I can get more info and specs would be awesome

Here's a good site to read...

http://www.legacycentral.org/library.htm

So would you say my gas guage is off or it is normal to be on "E" at almost 12 gallons used. That means there's 4 gallons left when I fill up, EVERY TIME. Which means, I could 400 miles on a tank if I ran it empty.

Also, why does my fuel light come on at about 1/3 tank then goes off a minute later and comes on randomly from there til the end of the tank and when it's below "E" and it's not even on!

What would you guestimate for HP of a 90 legacy wagon? After all these years, runs good, regular oil change, new timing belt and knock sensor, o2 sensor and fuel filter, plugs, wires.

I know it's not 130 anymore lol...100?110 maybe?

These cars are notorious for having lying gas gauges. I just don't pay attention to mine; just go by mileage. The low fuel light though is never wrong - so if you see it come on, you better go get gas.

I bet it still has in the neighborhood of 130hp..why would it lose any?

Some people have had results with running a few stiff doses of techron to clean up the fuel level sender. You'd have to go on a dyno to determine horsepower. That'd be wheel horsepower (whp) which is always less than crank or brake horsepower.

Here's a sort of funny thing I spotted in the service manual fuel tank section:

Fuel Tank: Purpose: Storage container for fuel.

So would you say my gas guage is off or it is normal to be on "E" at almost 12 gallons used. That means there's 4 gallons left when I fill up, EVERY TIME. Which means, I could 400 miles on a tank if I ran it empty.

Also, why does my fuel light come on at about 1/3 tank then goes off a minute later and comes on randomly from there til the end of the tank and when it's below "E" and it's not even on!

What would you guestimate for HP of a 90 legacy wagon? After all these years, runs good, regular oil change, new timing belt and knock sensor, o2 sensor and fuel filter, plugs, wires.

I know it's not 130 anymore lol...100?110 maybe?

My '90 Legacy Wagon does the same thing with the fuel gauge. The light will come on and then go off. It's probably due to the location of the level indicator being towards the front or rear of the tank and you are either driving uphil or downhill. I hit ~400km and the gauge is rock bottom. The gas tank is supposed to be 60 litres, but I can only get 44-45 litres into it! So I typically have 1/4 tank of gas left when I am on empty, I thought that was kind of strange. I typically fill up around 420-450 km.