Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This is a stupid question really, as I should first do simple things to see if that fixes the problem or not, but I'm going to ask this anyhow because I am bored....

This is in my Brat, but I'm pretty sure it's the engine that is the problem.

When I take off, especially in reverse, the whole car shudders until I'm off the clutch all together. I thought it may be the clutch, but if I slow down so I'm running below 1000rpm the car shudders with my foot completely off the clutch.

I am guessing bad spark plugs..? Car runs fine when driving, just that slow speed stuff.

Another thing.. It started it after a offroad trip which loosened my centre bearing mounts, but they are all good now.

I'll see if I can get some new plugs, it's just hard because I like to far from any auto store. No point driving 50km to buy $8 worth of plugs and then 50km back...

As I said, stupid question as I sshould do the obvious first. So if you want, just ignore me :-p

All mounted good still, well from the outside at least.

Are you sure your engine & trans mounts are secured and good? What condition was the clutch when you did your swap?

And when you say slow speeds, are you referring to slow engine speeds, slow driving speeds....or both?

Slow engine speeds, doesn't matter how fast the car is going. Anything under like 800-900 RPM and it studders. I've been trying to fix a IAC problem for ages now and it seemed after I swapped the ECU it went away, but the studder stays. I think it's doing it worse now after I went offroading. And I also have a slight exhaust leak now, so I'm thinking maybe that has made it a little worse? Hmm. I'll see if I can get my bro to get some new plugs for me today.

Interesting. When I put this engine in I got a Knock sensor code, but after I cleared the codes it never came back. I work on a tight budget, so new replacement parts is almost completely out of the question... But I will look into that.

Interesting. When I put this engine in I got a Knock sensor code, but after I cleared the codes it never came back. I work on a tight budget, so new replacement parts is almost completely out of the question... But I will look into that.

I totally hear you on the budget thing, one of these days I'll punch out my forward cat to get rid of the damn rattling :rolleyes:

How is it in low speed turns?

nipper

Fine at any speed if the RPM is above 8-900.. I'm going to town today, so I'll be able to grab some plugs and check out leads.

Do only Subaru leads have that weird water proof head? Or do other manufacturers do it too?

After a long drive in the thing I think I have two shudder problems. 1, the bad one, happens when I'm using the clutch. So either warped flywheel, or crapped out clutch seems to be the problem. Second problem seems to be just rough running. It idles rough, seems ok up high in the RPM though. I got a new set of plugs I'll put in this arvo.. And I'll just check the leads wit hthe multimeter... I don't feel like spending $$$ on new Subaru leads on a hunch. I'll see if I can 'borrow' a mates knock sensor, he has a 90model EJ22, so it should be the same..