Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rough shift from 2nd to 3rd on 99Leg Wagon

99 subaru legacy wagon, 2.2Liter

shift from 2nd to 3rd has not gotten better with warmer weather. It happens only on the first shifting after the car has been sitting for a few hours. As it shifts from 2nd to 3rd, it revs as if momentarily in neutral before 3rd catches.

Is this just a band adjustment which I could do or more?

There is a Subaru technical service bulletin out about it for the phase II 4eat. Found this in TT1202-001.

4. 2nd to 3rd shift flare after vehicle is parked.

Symptom After a vehicle is parked and it sits typically overnight, when it is started and the transmission upshifts into 3rd gear for the first time, the RPMs may flare slightly. This can be an intermittent condition depending on how the vehicle is positioned when parked, temperature of the transmission when parked, and ambient temperature.

Mechanism The shift flare occurs because the hydraulic circuit for high clutch in the transmission occasionally drains. When the transmission upshifts for the first time into 3rd gear, the hydraulic circuit must fill before it will apply the high clutch. The time needed to fill the circuit slightly delays the applying of the clutch causing the RPMs to rise slightly. The transmission will function normally for the rest of the driving cycle.

Recommendation Explain to the customer how and why they are experiencing this symptom. Also, make sure they understand it is not causing any damage or excessive wear to their transmission or vehicle.

Depending on the transmission style it could be 2 different things. Early 99's have the old kind of transmission and late 99's have another.

If you have a filter on the side of your transmission its the later tranny. If you can't see a black filter on the side of your transmission, your filter is in the pan and I have yet to see one that is badly clogged or clogged enough to cause problems on these.

The later 99's do not have a brake band.

How many miles are on the trans? Did this start after a trans fluid change? Is the fluid a nice red color or is it black or really clear/clean?

(short for MORE INFO NEEDED). :)

It wasn't a recall. It was in a technical bulletin from '99 describing some of the 'characteristics' of the (then new) Phase II 4eat.

i just caught the 4eat aspect of this post....does not apply to my 5mt

My tran has the filter on the outside so it must be the later one. The tran like the car has 130,000 mi. The problem started this winter. I changed the tran fluid and filter a few weeks ago and noticed no difference in the tran behavior. When I changed the fluid it wasnt discolored but it wasnt clear either.