Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help needed with oil in air filter and ticking engine

I have driven my 83 2wd Coupe EA81 to my parents place and on the way here it began to tick and lose oil. I lost at least 3 quarts of oil in under 100 miles and when I arrived at my folks place it was ticking pretty good.

Symptoms:

Oil all over the right side of the engine.

Valve cover bolt no longer in the engine, believe I found it on the firewall/frame rail.

Oil is in the air cleaner area and a substantial amount. Oil in the carburator as well.

I am going to pull the PCV valve out and clean it (stores are closed for Turkey day) and try to replace the bolt but if anybody can think of a reason that any of this would happen I truly appreciate it.

I'm with you on the bad PCV valve. Too much pressure in the crankcase and you blew out some seals.

The bolt I would write off as already being loose, and maybe the addition of all that oil (from the bad seals) and heat caused it to work it's way out.

Is that a replacement engine? If not it's a solid lifter motor..... your valves could be out of adjustment, or it could be a bad bearing maybe - the ticking noise that is. I would get some oil in it, and see if that helps first.

GD