Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MY 95 legacy with 80K miles is randomly flashing the check engine light. The subaru dealer said they probably wont get any codes unless its on and the hours they are open im always working, and since its not on all the time, i cant make an appointment. I was thinking oxygen sensor, he was saying a lot of the times its the cat. Does this sound good? What are the dimenstions on the stock cat? I want to cut it off and put on a universal one and see if it fixes the light.

First you want to read that code. '95 it probably has the ODBII connector. Pick up a cheap code reader at Pepboys or something and just leave it hooked up so you can read the code. It should work though '95 had some oddities about the ODBII. Some codes get stored in history so it might be readable even if the light isn't currently on.

Anything else is just a guess. Sure maybe it is the cat. But maybe it isn't. Or if it has a rear o2 sensor it could be that. Or it could be any of a number of other things.

edit: Though you say the engine light is flashing, not on solid? Some causes include engine misfire (check plugs and wires and use OEM and make sure coil connection to plug wires aren't corroded or degraded), and cam position sensor too far out of agreement with crank position sensor (if you haven't changed the timing belt yet it's overdue and the belt could be stretching).

Its not flashing, i mean it just comes on randomly. The subaru dealer said its not OBDII

First you want to read that code. '95 it probably has the ODBII connector. Pick up a cheap code reader at Pepboys or something and just leave it hooked up so you can read the code. It should work though '95 had some oddities about the ODBII. Some codes get stored in history so it might be readable even if the light isn't currently on.

Anything else is just a guess. Sure maybe it is the cat. But maybe it isn't. Or if it has a rear o2 sensor it could be that. Or it could be any of a number of other things.

edit: Though you say the engine light is flashing, not on solid? Some causes include engine misfire (check plugs and wires and use OEM and make sure coil connection to plug wires aren't corroded or degraded), and cam position sensor too far out of agreement with crank position sensor (if you haven't changed the timing belt yet it's overdue and the belt could be stretching).

If its not OBDII then you will have the black and green connectors under the lower dash. I'd have to look in the manual, but if my memory is correct the putting the black single plug together will set the CEL to flashing, the fault codes. The Green connectors put it in the check system mode and both will reset the codes. Check the manual first.

Rather than cut the cat, I'd get one from the yard if you need to.

Get the codes first. If the O2 sensor has not been changed, do that with a factory O2 sensor and then go for the cat. With the low miles it should not be the cat unless something damaged it.

The subaru dealer said its not OBDII

Then you should not go to the dealer. If you sit in the drivers seat, right by your left knee on the dash there is a little 2"X4" cover with a spot to pull it down with your finger. The cover should pop open, and you will see a trapezoidal 16 hole connector inside it. That's your OBDII connector. Any shop worth it's salt will have a scan tool that will hook up to it.

Sure give it a try; ask Autozone to read it. If they give any balk blah blah no ODBII until '96 just ask them to try it anyway. Then write down the code number (not just the description they give). It'll be something like P0420.

Also I wouldn't buy any parts from them such as o2 sensor or anything until you've researched the issue and decided what you want to do and if parts are needed do you want to go oem.

There might be a sticky on this board somewhere with the code meanings, or just post here and someone will tell you what it means.

P0xxx codes are generic and have the same meaning for all ODBII vehicles (though the cause of the code many be different).

P1xxx and I think P2xxx codes are manufacturer specific and the meaning may be different between various makes and models.

If you plan to work on your vehicle or just want to have one handy you could buy an inexpensive code reader. It's nice to have in the car so if the light pops on the code can be read immediately.

Well that is good news, in that it has nothing to do with the cat.

I've seen this code several times in Suby's of this era. DTC P0115: ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION (TW)

Yes it could be a wiring issue or poor contact somewhere. However it is most often the sensor itself. When I got this code, I just replaced the sensor and the code went away.

OEM sensor can be had online for about $25. Example

I bought a new OEM sensor. There may be aftermarket alternatives but I figured why mess around. Note there are two sensors: ECTS (engine coolant temp sensor, which is the one we're talking about) and CTS (for the temp gauge - _not_ the one we're talking about).

Sensor is

They're right next to each other, as shown in pics below:

Here it is in my '96 Legacy:

ects1a.jpg

Here it is a little easier to see in my '94 Legacy - it's the thing with the brownish connector in the center of the pic.

ects3.jpg