Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing Struts Do I need strut mounts?

I just bought new kyb struts for my 1997 Outback. Do I need to get strut mounts? some places show front and rear, others just fronts. Any suggestions? BTW my subie has over 276,000 on original struts.

thanks

robert

You only need to replace the mounts if the existing ones are rusty or otherwise in bad shape. Or if you want to do a thorough job you might replace them. On the fronts, there are bearings in the mounts so the wheels can turn for steering. So if you think those might be going bad might replace the front mounts.

Basically, inspect what you've got. Sometimes the rubber parts get nasty with age too and could be replaced. Look at your springs too. If they're rusty or broken or anything might was well replace those while you're in there.

For the mounts, there is also an sti version available with harder rubber.

If you are upgrading your suspension, you might want to change the mounts to maximize the purpose of an upgrade.......most notably on the fronts where you can feel the action in the steering wheel as well.

Front struts have to do extra work supporting the turning action as well as damping the force into the chassis at the mounting point. So these are the first to consider over the rears.

But if the mounts appear to be fine, then no harm, no foul.

I guess the worst thing that could happen is.....new struts installed only to find out next year that the bearing(s) start to squeek every time you turn the wheel...inspect the bearings (feel) for movement and and excessive play..you just be lucky and not have to change them out...but generally speaking with that many miles on the vehicle I would change them out if they "need it or not".....

I just bought new kyb struts for my 1997 Outback. Do I need to get strut mounts? some places show front and rear, others just fronts. Any suggestions? BTW my subie has over 276,000 on original struts.

thanks

robert