Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Legacy LSI alarm goes off randomly

I have a 95 Legacy LSI wagon. It may have had keyless entry at some point, but I bought it used and never got the remotes. It's got a built-in security light on the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel that flashes red. The alarm is just the lights flashing and the horn honking, no siren or anything.

When I lock the car, sometimes the alarm goes off without provacation, sometimes it doesn't. There's no way to predict this and it's getting really annoying not being able to lock the car.

I looked around this site and found some other mentions of alarm problems, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm facing. I saw links to the cars101 information about the Code Alarm, but I can't find a button anywhere under my dashboard, just lots of wiring harnesses. Another post mentioned a black box with two harnesses plugged into it, which I also don't have. There is a silver box of some sort, but nothing on this indicates that it has to do with keyless entry (which I don't even know that I have) or any sort of alarm.

Can I pull a fuse, cut a wire, disable the horn entirely (thought the lights would probably still flash), or do something, ANYTHING to trick the car into not arming the alarm? I hate not being able to lock the car and would gladly give up the horn completely if I could start to do this.

Thanks for any advice.

Maybe you can find an alarm fuse to pull (provided it doesn't power something else too) or unplug a harness from the alarm unit (assuming it's some separate module).

Sounds like maybe the door switch contacts are not the greatest? Like when closing the door maybe the switch makes, then brakes, then makes, etc. Not sure if the module is smart enough to not activate for like 1 second after seeing the door switch open or not. Could, as an experiment, try opening the passenger or other door, then close the driver door, then close the other door and see if it still happens.

I wouldn't disable the horn per se, especially if it may be part of your state's safety testing program, and also it is a nice safety device.

Joygoat,

This is close so I hope it helps.

I recently bought an OB ( I did not get the remotes for it either.)

I didn't know it had the security system - no light on the dash

like my 2.5RS has.

I found the box under the dash behind the driver's side

kick panel.

I had an extra remote for the RS - followed the programing

instructions from the website and

Wha lah - remote locks and flashing ect

security system worked as intended.

Now the reason for this post.

I was not using the car as it

needed some repair,

=> the battery died.

Forgetting the key was in the ignition and the remote

was on the key chain.

I put my jump start box on the battery.

click click flash flash - locked out w/ lights flashing

Was at my home, a piece of Al flat stock and I was in

in less than 5 min.

Just a word of "look out/lock out"

You can buy the remores on Ebay for like 10 bones.

No doubt it has the Alpine system.

Hope this link helps.

Subaru Remote Systems