Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Move Pushbutton Location?

The shifter is held on with a roll pin, so I'm not sure that an aftermarket knob will work. The pushbutton wiring goes down inside the shifter boot, then comes back into the interior and has a connector under the carpet biside the passenger seat. You could move it if you wanted to, but I think you would have to use another shifter stalk to put a knob on.

The shifter is held on with a roll pin, so I'm not sure that an aftermarket knob will work. The pushbutton wiring goes down inside the shifter boot, then comes back into the interior and has a connector under the carpet biside the passenger seat. You could move it if you wanted to, but I think you would have to use another shifter stalk to put a knob on.

Well do you know of a car that has a shifter stalk that would fit my transmission?

Or where I could get one?

any non-pushbutton tranny.

you could swap to a dual range box and center console, it's a huge improvement in my opinion, though a bit of work.

You could probably swap over to a dual range stalk and linkage and leave the 4wd shifter off... It should hide under the shifter boot fine.

I apprecaite the reply 91Loyale, but could you be more specific. I'm not that advanced in the whole car stuff yet, heh. What car would have a stalk that's not push button? A GL maybe? Idk. What car would I look for at the junk yard to grab the shifter stalk off of?

And what do you mean about swapping a dual range? That went way over my head. :confused:

on my old push button wagon i simply removed the the shift knob, popped out the button assembly and located into one of the coin trays by the e-brake..

so otherwise yes it can be done.. I wanted a neat shift knob.. took me about an hour to do..

slide the rollpin out of the shift knob.. the button i dont remember exactly how to pop it out but it wasnt overly complicated.. (been about 4 years)

the wiring for the switch is just taped to the shift linkage as i recall

alot of the aftermarket knobs use 3 set screws to hold the knob in place.. so just about anything will work.. take a look at autozone to get a better adea of how they mount..

good luck

mmmm if u need the stuff to do that i got it like the shift linkage and boot and all that im in ellensburg id sell it for about 30 bucks i see ur in yakivegas so picking it up wouldent be a problem let me know by the way my name is rob:burnout:

Like rllywagn says or

use a die and put threads on the hollow shifter rod.

You must use a SPDT switch.

see switch def. for an explain.

I used this method when I put the Hurst handle on my shifter.

I also changed the lower pivot point and

made a true "short shift" when I had it apart.

willydash.jpg

WOW skip!! I officially nominate your vehicle for GL-20 status!!

Whatsamatta, don't you trust your stock gauges?? :lol:

What exactly IS all that?? I see two clocks, (is one the stock one?) what looks like a radar screen, a barometer?!, a CB radio.. but I cant ID the thing next to the cell phone holder, OR whatever it is on the extreme right side of your dash console there....

I personaly do not trust my digi gauge set. or the pushbutton for that matter. It goes in but it never wants to disengage..... Didos on the GL-20

Also Skip... What is the thingy next to the clock?? to the right of it? is that like a rocket target or something???

I personaly do not trust my digi gauge set. or the pushbutton for that matter. It goes in but it never wants to disengage..... Didos on the GL-20

Also Skip... What is the thingy next to the clock?? to the right of it? is that like a rocket target or something???

THAT is what I hypothesized was a barometer, but altimeter might make as much sense...

and I was being sarcastic about "trusting" the factory gauges, I don't think any of us do. :-p

Thanks guys

The target looking devise is a compass and the altimeter

(well it is a barometer as thats how altimeters of this nature work) is next to it.

The red read out is a digital lab thermometer for the oil and H20 temps.

The row of switches control rad fan, lights, aux temp alarm

the oil/H20 readout and the inverter.

Beside the cell phone is the CD changer control.

The blue rocker switch is the AC on/off control.

The button above it is for "Da Bomb"**

** Da Bomp is a tank of ATF mixed with MMO connected to the intake manifold through a solenoid valve.

I think you can guess what it's for.

Thanks guys

(well it is a barometer as thats how altimeters of this nature work) is next to it.

** Da Bomp is a tank of ATF mixed with MMO connected to the intake manifold through a solenoid valve.

no gps?

Thanks guys

It looks to me like it was once used as a protocar for back to the future part 4. you know the world of 2060 when they went back and comandered old gens because they were extinct.