Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Slight problem with my CV axle replacement.

The head on the pinch bolt for the the steering knuckle is well beyond rounded. Before I try getting it loose with a pipe wrench or vise grips (which won't be a fun two or three hours I'm sure), can I remove the castle nut on the bottom of the control arm and separate the ball joint from there and still get the rotor/caliper to swing free to remove the axle???

Anybody had a similar issue with the pinch bolt being rounded?

You don't have to remove that to pull the axle. I'm assuming you have either an EA81 or EA82 model. Drop me a PM with a 'phone number; I live in Bothell and I can show you how to replace your axle without undoing that portion; save that onerous job for some other time.

Slight problem with my CV axle replacement.

The head on the pinch bolt for the the steering knuckle is well beyond rounded. Before I try getting it loose with a pipe wrench or vise grips (which won't be a fun two or three hours I'm sure), can I remove the castle nut on the bottom of the control arm and separate the ball joint from there and still get the rotor/caliper to swing free to remove the axle???

Anybody had a similar issue with the pinch bolt being rounded?

I will be interested in edrach's answer, but I wanted to replace the balljoint itself when I did the axel, and the bolt was completely rusted in place.

As to the bolt, I used a regular hand drill to drill into the thread end with a ~3/16 drill only through the threaded side of the knuckle. The combination of right turn torque and possibly some relief on the thread pressure let me get enough grip on what was left of the bolt head to crack it loose.

BTW: I MUCH prefer a "lever-type" balljoint remover (JC Whitney source). No hammering.

Trust Ed - he be the man.

I have always prefered removing the lower control arm

to frame bolt(s).

The brake line bracket and the sway bar if so

equipped come off no problem.

All these bolts came loose very EZ.

I think since this is the new gen forum he's talking bout a Legacy or impreza. And in that case removeing the lower control arm is alot more intensive. And It will screw with the alingment. I'd say go to town with that pinch bolt, drill it, heat it, do whatever to get it out. If you have to you can undo the strut from top of knuckle and that will allow you to replace the axle, but again alingment is an issue.