Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Outback 2.5L - I am getting a whining/squealing noise when I steer to one side even slightly while moving at moderate speeds. I can hear it while I have the windows down. Sounds like a wheel bearing going to me. Is this a do it yourself job? If so where can I find some instructions? If not what can I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance

wheel bearings don't make a whining squealing sound. They make a low humming and get louder with speed and as you corner and put load on that wheel.

Probably something accessory belt or power steering pump related.

Wheel bearing is a pretty tough do it yourself job because they're pressed into the knuckles. If you search you will find a lot on the subject.

If it turns out to be a wheel bearing, you can get the spindle and hub with bearing from a wrecking yard for 50.00 to 75.00 dollars, put it on your car. Then if you want to learn to do your own you can buy a press from Harbor Freight and practice with your old spindle and hub. I posted a how to under the title how to conquer the wheel bearing a while back you should be able to find it with the search feature. Others here have done theirs with a Hub tamer which you can also find information with the search.

98 Outback 2.5L - I am getting a whining/squealing noise when I steer to one side even slightly while moving at moderate speeds. I can hear it while I have the windows down. Sounds like a wheel bearing going to me. Is this a do it yourself job? If so where can I find some instructions? If not what can I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance