Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch upgrade for early 90's Leg?

A WRX clutch won't work on a n/a legacy. Look for upgrades for the 2.5RS, and most other n/a ej stuff. It won't matter if cable or hydro clutch. The main thing is the turbo's use a pull system for the pressure plate and the n/a uses a push.

I put an Outbqack clutch in mine, and get a real good hold from it. feelsw a bit heavy, but it does not break loose when I take off hard. . .

the Outback is a 2.5l engine (160hp) while the Legacy is a 2.2l engine (130hp). that difference means that the clamping pressure for the Outback clutch is higher, and it holds better under acceleration. I also put in a lighter flywheel and that makes the pickup very impressive. Be warned, however, as this setup seems to incoporate a footmagnet (your right foot will be drawn to the floor when it is over the accelerator). . . :clap::headbang::clap:

This is in my Brat, but I have the EJ22 plus the trans casing and clutch from the Leg (Liberty.) So I only have to look at it being a push type, ok, sweet.

I want to replace mine because I believe either one of the fingers is broken, the flywheel warped or the plate is bent, maybe a spring broken. Well anyway basically it's getting clutch wobble and the thrust bearing is squeaking it's head off which is getting on my nerve, so I want a whole new clutch and I'm going to get my flywheel balanced and lightened I reckon.

If you're looking for torque, as i would assume in an off-roading rig, you can use a 2.5l flywheel, which is many pounds heavier than the 2.2l flywheel. Any subaru clutch disk should work, and any N/A pressure plate.

The 2.5l pressure plate puts out an extra 30 or so pounds of clamping force, I'll have to look back at the FSM, but I think it was 220lbs vs. the 190 of the 2.2l.

I was thinking of lightening the flywheel as the EJ22 is giving me as much low end torque as I want and the lighter it is the quicker I'll be able to rev... And I am a rev head on the road :) Plus, I am now aiming me offroading more at trailing, not hardcore. I know my Subaru will never do hardcore.

Any hints on limits to how light I can go? I don't want the engine running crud or the clutch to get hot enough to warp the flywheel. And I do want to keep some low end torque. I'm going to get it machined anyway so I figure may as well take some off it.

Well with the world of aftermarket flywheels, a good rule of thumb is to keep good drivability not to go below 12-14lbs of flywheel. You'll never get the stock one that light reliably. So however much your shop will take off while keeping it in spec will be good.

Lighter flywheels usually reduce usable torque.